Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a mac computer and MS Entourage 2008. I have the message

I have a mac computer...
I have a mac computer and MS Entourage 2008. I have the message "database Daemon Fatal Error" I have read info on the internet about it but a little or a lot intimidated to try and back up my this and that without someone helping that knows more than I do. Can you help me?
11/12/2010
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

This error can be for a couple of reasons .

First make sure you do not have both Entourage 2004 and Entourage 2008
running at the same time as this can cause an issue

If thats not the case you will want to check your Startup Items in System Preferences for duplicate daemons. If you have more than one, delete all and let Entourage create a new one when launched. Then launch Entourage to see if its fixed

If that doesn't work try trashing the preference file in your User's Preference folder:

com.Microsoft.entourage.database_daemon.plis and then reopening it

If that still doesn't work then the next step is to try and rebuild your entourage database

How to rebuild database:

Your Identity is located in Your User's Document folder inside the Microsoft User Data folder. First please see how big this file is and make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive to be able to have another copy of it.
This link here will show you where pretty much all the information is located if you look at number 1 a little down the page its where you can find your database file

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/database/index.html#db1

Now to rebuild your database close entourage if it isn't already then Hold down the Option key and re-launch the application. In a few seconds, you¹ll be greeted with the database utility. You can rebuild the Entourage database by using the Microsoft Database Utility.

Please go through this rebuild if none of the above mentioned steps work for you and let me know the results

And please feel free to post any questions or concerns and we can continue working on the question

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 11/12/2010 at 2:04 PM EST
Omer Mushahwar
I don't have two versions of Entourage -

on the next step on system preference all I see is start up disk and then a picture of hard drive and network set up How do I get into it to see if there are duplicate daemons?

Startup Items in the Computer are found > Macintosh HD > Library > StartupItems folder
DemoOver
Nalpeirond6
ProTec6
StartupParameters.plist

I had to open the hard drive in a different place. it just had protec and then when I opened it, this is what was there. I see nothing called daemons.. and nothing looks duplicated.

ok than your issue is not duplicated daemons

Please go on to try and rebuild your database

I think it is fixed. ONce I found my way around it was easy to rebuild. I was worried I would lose everything. I still don't know my way around MAC like a PC.

Thank you. Everything is working.

I appreciate your help.

Bonnie
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar