Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Using Mac 10.6.4, Excel 2008. In a sheet Ive been working

Customer Question
Using Mac 10.6.4, Excel 2008...
Using Mac 10.6.4, Excel 2008. In a sheet I've been working on for a week, for some unknown reason, all numbers entered, such as: 111, on shows as 1.11.

Each cell is formatted as Number, 2 decimal places. IF I convert the row to text, enter the values, excel will then show an error, "number stored as text". Clicking on convert to number works. Given the several thousand values in the sheets, that is not a viable fix. Also just checked several other sheets - same exact problem - Assistance Please?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
11/7/2010
Mac Support Specialist: John D, BS Degree in Engineering replied 7 years ago
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

HI,

Open Excel and go to Preferences, then click the Edit tab, and uncheck the box "Fixed decimal"

That should do it

Please feel free to reply if you need further clarification or click Accept if this answers your question fully.

John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
It works, but doesn't make much sense - as I've been using excel for weeks without the problem. Any idea why "Display this number of decimal places: 2, should result in changing the value of the input number?

Thanks

Someone must have checked that box (or it may have been checked by a macro that you may have run recently)

As for the reason, some users prefer this option for faster data entry. For example if you use Excel to enter a long list of dollar amounts frequently, instead of typing a decimal in each entry you can set the option on 2 decimals and it will automatically enter the decimal for you (e.g. instead of typing 22.95, you just type 2295)

Hope this helps

John D
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering