Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I want to connect my airport extreme up so that it extends

internet coverage in my house...
I want to connect my airport extreme up so that it extends internet coverage in my house. I have a Netgear wireless adsl modem router (108 mps) which at the moment provides wireless internet access to 2 IMACs, 1 Macbook and and ipad. However, our house is big and the wireless coverage is currently not enough - hence the reason I purchased an airport extreme. But I can't work out how to use it. Please can you help me?
11/3/2010
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

First do a hard reset on your Airport Extreme. That should erase all configurations from your Airport. Then you can setup it and extend it using Airport Utility.

Follow the instructions in here to reset the Extreme : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3728

Then download and install the Airport Utility from here : http://support.apple.com/downloads/AirPort_Utility_5_4_1

Now, install it and open it and setup your Airport. Let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,
The message I get when i try to install this AirPort Utility is "AirPort Utility Sofeware Update 2009-001 can't be installed on this disk. a newer version is already installed".

But even if this problem is solved I don't know how make AirPort Extreme extend the internet coverage in my house. I don't understand which instructions I should be following in the menus they give me. I just don't understand the terms and instruction. Please help
Wait..i just noticed that you're using Netgear router. I don't think you can extend the Netgear with Apple Airport. The Apple Airport only "extend" a network that has been created by another Apple Airport, i think it cannot extend the wireless network created by another manufacturers' products like Netgear, Belkin etc. There may be many tricks to extend the network, but it might not work properly. I think it'd be better to buy a Airport Express, then use your Extreme as main station and then extend it with Airport Express. Let me know what you think...
Oh my word. I wasn't told that in the shop. I don't think I can get an express as well. Is there nothing I can do?
Well, the 'Extend Network' in Airport Utility only works with other Apple Airports. But i think you can extend the network by connecting the Airport to your Netgear using ethernet cable.
Let me know...
How would that extend the coverage within my house? And if it did how would I set it up?
In simple words, You're are just transferring the network signals with ethernet cable to your Airport. Airport will think that it connected to main network and it'll work like Netgear. What you want to do is, get a lengthy ethernet cable and connect one end to your Netgear and connect other end to your Airport. Then place your Airport to the place where you don't get signals. I'm not sure if it works or not, but i will try it on my computer and let you know.
Ashik, Mac Technician
I don't understand why you Accept my answer and left a neutral feedback. The problem is, you bought something that doesn't work as you expected. Its not my fault, i'm trying to find a way to fix this problem and like i said, there is no easy fix for this problem. I have to find another way or you have to return the Airport to Apple to buy another Airport. Let me know if you don't need my help.
I had success in connection with Ethernet. Let me know when you are ready.
I have connected the ethernet line to the Extreme and I have opened airport utiity. the Base Station is listed. The Aiport Extreme is flashing amber. What do I do now?
First, make sure you are connecting an Ethernet cable from your Netgear router. Okay...In Airport Utility, click Continue button. In the next screen, type your Airport's name and password XXXXX then click Next. Let me know once you did that..
When I clicked continue as you instructed a message came up "This AirPort Extreme has been reset" And then it gives me the choice "Restore the previous settings or Use default settings and save previous setting as a profile" which do I choose?
None of them, just click the close button.
OK I clicked close and have a screen which says "Select what you want to do with AirPort Exteme: I want to create a new wireless network; I want to replace an existing base station or wireless router with AirPort Extreme or I want AirPort Extreme to join my current network". Which should I choose?
Select "I want to create a New Wireless Network".Then click Continue, then name your network and select Security and click Continue. Let me know...
Sorry when you say "click security" I don't understand - you see it gives 2 choices WPA2Personal and No security. If I choose the former what is a "hexadecimal character" that is asks for in the password?
I mean select the security type, that is the password XXXXX join your network. If you forgot that password, you have to reset your Airport again and then setup again.
Ok I've done that (I remembered the password) Now it asks me to select the country where AirPort Extreme is used and it doesn't have South Africa as a choice which country should I choose?
hmm...i didn't got that option. Okay...select any available country.
Ok I chose the UK. Then it says "select whether you would like AE to be in bridget mode or share an IP address using DHCP and NAT?
Select Bridge Mode. Then from the resulting message box, click Ignore. Then click Continue, again click Continue and then click Update. Let me know how it goes...
Ok all the boxes have disappeared now and the Airport Extreme glows green. Is that it? Can i now put the AE in another room?
All the settings are updated to the AE. Now you can put it to another room, but don't disconnect the ethernet cable. It won't work without ethernet cable.
If I need to turn the AE off (like at night etc or to move it to another room) do I have to go through this whole process again?
Nope, just plug and play.
Ok thanks. If I had the AirPort Express would it be wireless (i.e. I wouldn't need to use the Ethernet cable? And would I then still need the Netgear Modem?
Yes..If you have the Airport Express, then you can use your Extreme as main station and extend it with Express wirelessly. And you don't need the Netgear anymore.
Also, make sure the Airport is working i.e you're able to access the internet with it.
How do you make sure it is working? It is working now because I can converse with you. But do you mean when I have an airport express ?

Is the AE a modem then?
You have to select the AE if you don't have the coverage of Netgear. You can check it with your iPad. In iPad, select AE instead of Netgear and try to connect to internet. Yes, AE is a mode (not an extender).
Just checked on the ipad and it works! Thanks. Now I understand a bit more. If I get the airport express then presumably the AE won't have to work in bridge mode anymore? Anyway thanks for your patience
Glad you understood it. Yes..when you get the Express, you can configure the AE as main modem and setup Express to extend AE. Let me know if you have any questions..

Best Regards,
THanks a lot for you help
You're welcome !!Smile
I need to change my experience to satisfied not neutral, but it won't let me do it. But thanks so much for your help, I didn't mean to upset you by saying it was neutral, I didn't understand the system and answered too early. You have now helped very well.
You can't change it and don't worry about that. I'm glad you didn't left a Negative Feedback. And glad i could help.

Have a great day !
Ashik, Mac Technician