Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an Iomega Rev drive 35GB firewire, recently stopped

Customer Question
working, it is not mounting...
I have an Iomega Rev drive 35GB firewire, recently stopped working, it is not mounting the disk and the blue light flashes when the disk is inserted. The REV tools also can't pick up infromation from the drive. Computer connected is an iMac 1.8GHz G5 running OS X 10.4.11
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
11/4/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Hi there and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you.

You did some decent troubleshooting to determine the issue. Let's see if the system even sees the device. To do this, please go to the Apple menu in the upper left corner. Choose About This Mac. In the window that appears, click More Info. In the window that appears, on the left, choose your connection method (USB, Firewire, etc). On the right, do you see anything listed as IOMEGA?

If yes, the device is recognized by the system and we are looking at an issue with either power or the Rev disks.

If no, then we either have an issue with the drive, the port or the cord. The easiest way to troubleshoot this problem is to try connecting it to another computer (preferably another mac).

Let me know how this goes.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Hi Brandon,
It's connected by firewire but comes up as 'unknown device' in the system profiler. I have now also tried it on my more up to date laptop running OS 10.6.4 with a different firewire cable, came up as 'unable to list device'.
Looks like the drive may be at fault?
Hi Brandon
I took the drive into work and connected it to another computer, and it is now working again. I will take another drive home and try connecting that one. Could now be the computer or port at fault?
Thanks for this info. Unknown device would usually indicate that either the device isn't getting enough power (does it have a separate power adapter or does it get it's power over firewire?) or it's not communicating well with the computer during the initial connection. I would usually say the drive would be at fault here.

Now your second reply is contradictory with it now working a a third computer. I don't know if it would be the computer or port because it did the same thing on your laptop.

On your laptop, even though it said unable to list device, did it show up or seem to work?

I would be curious what would happen with another Rev drive. That would definitely help narrow it down.

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Hi
The other REV drive worked at home, but only when I took the power cord OUT.
The drive is content to run off the firewire without the power cord, so I think I need to get a new power cord.
Thanks for your help I will accept your answer, sorry for the delay I've been very busy recently.
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist