Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am trying to disable private browsing from my Safari browser.

Customer Question

I am trying to disable private browsing from my Safari browser. I do not want that to be an option. I have Safari 5 and MAC OS X. Can you assist me?

I already went to Finder and clicked on Safari. Clicked on Show Package Contents. Clicked on Resources. Clicked on English.lproj. Clicked on MainMenu.nib. And there is a file called keyedobjects.nib. And nothing happens after that.

Thanks,
Kimberly
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Double Click on the MainMenu.nib. Does that open Interface Builder ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. It brings up the filed called keyedobjects.nib and nothing happens after that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Download and install Xcodes and then try again : http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Apple-Xcode-Download-7935.html
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already have xcode installed. I installed it last night. Now what do I do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay...We can try this step by step. Can you see the file FindBanner.nib in there ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean can I find it in xcode or in Finder? I see it in Finder. Under the Englisgh.lproj folder. When I click on the FindBanner.nib folder there are three things under that:
- Classes.nib
-info.nib
-keyedobjects.nib

If you are asking me to find the file FindBanner.nib in xcode. How do I go about doing that? When I click on my xcode tab at the bottom of my MAC. It brings up something that says new project and on the far left side it says iOS and under iOS it says: Application, Library, MAC OS X and under Mac OS X it says Application, Framework & Library, Application Plug-In, System Plug-In, and Other.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Not in Xcode, but in Finder. Okay..Replace the keyedeobjects.nib file of Filebanner.nib with the MainMenu.nib's keyedobjects.nib file. Now open the Filebanner.nib in Interface Builder. Let me know once you did that..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I just went to the MainMenu.nib and copied the keyedobjects.nib file to Filebaner.nib. I am not sure if that is what I was supposed to do.

How do I open Filebanner.nib in Interface Builder? Is Interface Builder the same as the xcode icon at the bottom of my MAC? If so, once I click on that icon, how do I get to Filebanner.nib.

When you send me responses, do you mind sending me instructions on how to complete what it is you are asking me to do? I am not technical savvy, so that would help tremendously.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Both Filebanner.nib and Mainmenu.nib files have a common file keyedeobjects.nib inside. You want to replace the Filebanner.nib's keyedeobjects.nib with the Mainmenu.nib's keyedeobjects.nib. I hope you'll understand this...

Now, Right Click on the Filebanner.nib file and select Open With. Can you see the Interface Builder in the list of applications ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I right click on Filebanner.nib file it doesnt say "open with" it just says "open." I click on "open" and nothing happens.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Select the file and press Command(Apple) + I, this should bring the Get Info window. In there, you can see a Open With option. Click on it and let me know..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did that and the Get Info window popped up. I clicked on File and the "open with" button is greyed out. I cannot click on it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
hmm..thats strange. What happens when you double click on the file ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I double click on the file three other files come up: 1. Classes.nib 2. Info.nib 3. keyedobjects.nib
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Well, can you search Interface Builder in spotlight. Does that shows the app ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is spotlight? How do I search Interface Builder?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Spotlight is the searchbox in the top right corner of your screen. see the picture below;

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, yes, I see Interface Builder in Spotlight. Now what should I do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Click on it and the app should open. Now open the Filebanner.nib in it. (File > Open). Let me know...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I do File and Open in Interface Builder. It brings up Documents and the Filebanner.nib is not in there. :(
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Move the Filebanner.nib to desktop from the Safari package. Then once you edit it, you can move it back (just drag and drop it to desktop).Let me know..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I dragged it to the desktop and now what should I do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Now see if you are able to open it in IB.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, it is open and I se File's Owner, First Responder, Application, and View
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Now follow the steps in here (continue from 3) : http://guides.macrumors.com/Safari#Disable_Private_Browsing
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I just tried the directions on the link you sent and it is not working. I have up IB, however, I do not see a window showing the Safari menu bar. Can you assist?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...had to go out from home.

Can you see the menu when you click any of these : File's Owner, First Responder, Application, and View

Edited by Ashik on 11/1/2010 at 1:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, when I click on each one of those. A window pops up but it still says IB and not Safari.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, i'm out of ideas. I will opt out and send this question to other experts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, so will someone else contact me? Thanks for your help.