Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I have managed to accidentally delete the iCal application

I have managed to accidentally delete the iCal application off of my iMac. Does anyone know how I can reload it. My iMac is only about 6 months old but I don't think it came with any disks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Did you remove it from the dock or delete it of the applications folder?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had an extra icon on my desktop that I think my one of my 3 year old daughters created. I was trying to delete just the extra icon. I ended up putting it in the trash and it deleted the one on my dock as well. I now have an icon with paper, pencil, ruler and paint brush where ical used to reside.
Ok go into the hard drive on your desktop. Go into applications and see if iCal is there. If so you will just need to click and drag it back on to the dock.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not there
Ok. At this point to get iCal back you will need to reinstall the operating system. To do this you will need to put in the first restore disc shutdown the machine then power it back up while holding the c key. If the computer is only 6 months old like you stated before. Then it will not lose any of your data as it does an archive and install. But it would be best to do a full backup of the computer. Speaking of that. If you have time machine setup you could restore that one application. Do you have time machine setup?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No time machine, but I may set it up after this. Don't really have any data to speak of as I am just making the the transition from Windows. The Mac came with a restore disk? I will need to go look in the box.
Yep the mac would come with restore discs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great, I have no idea where they are.
They would be in the white sleeve that came in the box.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK I need to do some searching
Let me know when you find them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank goodness, I found them.
Good to hear. Now boot to the disc and follow the on screen instructions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Two disks, OS X install DVD, Apps Install DVD
Use the OS X install DVD.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This will wipe everything. I do have some pictures that my wife will probably want to keep. I may want to load up time machine first. What do you recommend.
I would backup the files to be save but this reinstall should lose everything it should just reinstall the os. But its always a good idea to have a backup.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK so it just replaces the OS. That is good. I think I will definitely buy an external HD and use time machine. I have a Windows Vista laptop on the same network that I have been trying to share files with but have not had much luck thus far. It would be nice to just copy the pictures there just to be safe.
Ok for quick backup I would suggest just using a USB flash drive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good point. I have a few lying around. OK, I think I am good now. I have a lot more Mac questions so I will probably be logging back on and looking for you in the near future.
Sounds great. Just remember I don't get paid till you accept my answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I tried to reinstall everything from the DVDs that I finally found I got a message telling me that the hard drive in the iMac was damaged and I should replace it. I ended up taking the Mac into the Apple Store.