Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i have a mac book running safari 10.6.4 and I run yahoo messenger.

last night before i even...
i have a mac book running safari 10.6.4 and I run yahoo messenger. last night before i even logged in my IM it sent messages to all my contacts. i turned off my wifi internet connection uninstalled yahoo messenger with Clean My mac and ran ProtectMac Antivirus through everything; reloaded yahoo messenger and now during the day it has done it again. Help!!
10/27/2010
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Did you change the password XXXXX your Yahoo! account yet?

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

no forgot about that

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

if I repeat what i did last night and change password XXXXX that work

OSXpert :

I can almost guarantee someone has your Yahoo! password XXXXX your scenario is pretty common. Spammers steal passwords, then log into the account (email, IM, etc...) and send messages to the entire contact list...usually advertising porn and cheap pharmaceuticals

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

yeah great internet world!!

OSXpert :

I know what you mean -- it can be brutal at times

OSXpert :

I would recommend you change your password XXXXX Then, change the password XXXXX any other accounts that have a login name that is the same or similar to that of your Yahoo! account

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

so what do i need to do in what order?

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

will that cure the problem

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

for now lol

OSXpert :

hopefully :)

OSXpert :

Change your Yahoo! password XXXXX and the sooner the better

OSXpert :

Then change any other account that uses that same login/password XXXXX

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

how often should i change my password

OSXpert :

Well, if you pick a good password, I personally don't think you need to change it on any regular interval. Lot's of businesses enforce a mandatory password XXXXX every 60-90 days. I think this is a bad idea because it forces people to write down their passwords on paper which is much more prone to theft as opposed to the password XXXXX memorized

OSXpert :

Just make sure you pick something with at least 8 characters, use a combination of upper/lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols (whenver possible)

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

my password XXXXX 11 letters 2 numbers and 2 symbols

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

ok i will mix it up even more

OSXpert :

that sounds like a good password XXXXX also, make sure the alpha portion is not based on a dictionary word

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

ok and i have all lower case so I will add uppercase

OSXpert :

but also, be cautious about where you type in your password (i.e. public computers) -- viruses are also a concern, but they are much less likely to be encountered on a Mac

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

i have many password XXXXX 2 accts are the same and only one other similar

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

ok

OSXpert :

That sounds like good practice to me

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

thanks you all are always helpful

OSXpert :

I'm glad we have been able to help you :) Let me know if you have more questions or need more advice.

JACUSTOMER-1flwlkxi- :

thanks

OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
OSXpert
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer