Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, I just need some more mobile me information before I cancel

Customer Question
my old email. Such...
Hi, I just need some more mobile me information before I cancel my old email. Such things as personalizing my emails and putting an icon on my desktop.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
10/27/2010
Mac Support Specialist: OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer replied 7 years ago
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer

OSXpert :

Hi there!

OSXpert :

Let me know when you're ready and I'll give you a hand

OSXpert :

Did you get it all worked out yesterday with your new iPhone?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Well, yes

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I have my Telus emails coming to my me address... thats working good.

OSXpert :

excellent

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Can I set up more than one email addres.... coming to the same email box... I would call it an alias. To explain further... we have a company

OSXpert :

You can forward multiple addresses to the same email accoutn (mobileMe)...if that's what you're easking

OSXpert :

asking*

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

so I had [email protected] and [email protected] but, when someone emailed the coyote address it really came to the lzweifel inbox.

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

but I need to set up an additional address..... [email protected] - they can be seperate

OSXpert :

oops, justanswer filters email addresses, I can't see what you typed there. Use the portion after the @ symbol to reference each address

OSXpert :

Sorry, I'm still a little confused -- are you trying to forward a couple of email addresses to your mobileMe account?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I just need to know if I can set up two email accounts within the same mobile me account. the first would be my personal lzweifel and the second one coyotetransport

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Nope, I don't need to forward them... just need to set up the second one in mobile me. But I would like to be able to see both when I sign into my account

OSXpert :

I see -- so you actually want to have two separate mail boxes...that can be checked independent from one-another?

OSXpert :

You might need to upgrade to a mobileMe family pack so you can get more than one email account. I believe Apple limits you to one email account in the base mobileMe package

OSXpert :

Coyote Transport is your business I take it?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

yes

OSXpert :

Bummer -- looks like you're stuck with having to upgrade mobileMe to a family pack in order to get an additional email account

OSXpert :

however -- do you have a website? The email account may look more credible if it has an email address of @coyotetransport.com

OSXpert :

The mobileMe family account will cost you an extra $50/year

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

which is a total of?

OSXpert :

$150

OSXpert :

Since you already paid $100 for the base service

OSXpert :

not sure if that's worth it to you...if not, let me know and I'll help you explore some other alternatives

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

okay... got ya!

OSXpert :

What else can I help you with today?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

So... can I personalize my email and how the heck can I put an icon on my desktop so I don't have to log online everytime I want to check mail.

OSXpert :

Okay, are you using Mac Mail (the postage stamp icon on the dock) to check your mail right now, or are you logging into mobileMe using a browser (Safari, Firefox, etc...)?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Let me go get that Mac.... Im sorry Dillan (is that right) I am at work... so multitasking!!!!

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I would also like to set it up on the PC... as this is where I would do most of my emailing.

OSXpert :

No worries -- my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with both when you're ready. I'm going to grab a sandwich while you're getting your systems ready

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

when you are ready... can we figure out the pc first

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I guess I need to know how to bluetooth connect my iphone with my laptop, because I need to use the phone for internet.

OSXpert :

You want to surf the web using a computer through the phone's internet connection?

OSXpert :

Using the phone's internet connection is called Tethering -- who is your cellular carrier?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

telus

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I had an account with the blackberry

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

but I can't find where to search for bluetooth on my iphone

OSXpert :

I see, not sure what telus allows and what not -- but usually, tethering is up to the wireless carrier

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

got it

OSXpert :

go to settings->general->bluetooth

OSXpert :

k

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

okay... so I have the mac figured out... how can I have the mobile me email on my pc without having to go to a website for it?

OSXpert :

Do you have outlook on your PC?

OSXpert :

you can also use Windows Mail -- which version of Windows do you have?

OSXpert :

but Oulook will do a better job...

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

at work... where I am now XP... at home Windows 7

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I have outlook for work... but I really don't want to mix the two

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

at home I could use outlook

OSXpert :

Okay, cool. Outlook will do a better job than Windows mail at helping you get to your data...

OSXpert :

When you get home, download the mobileMe Windows control panel here...

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Actually... I think I have it on the Windows 7 PC

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Can I use that link for Windows XP?

OSXpert :

sure, it works on XP as well

OSXpert :

Once you download it, you can run mobileMe control panel and you can configure where you sync your contacts, email, calendars, etc...

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

it won't sync with what I have on this computer will it.... can I turn that off.

OSXpert :

This, being your work computer?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

yes.... okay, I have nothing... it downloaded, I signed in and then nothing!

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Damn, I don't know why nothing ever works easy for me!

OSXpert :

All the mobileMe control panel does is configure which components of your computer you want to sync with the cloud (mobileMe)

You won't actually see your emails using this utility, you'll view them using outlook. If you don't plan on using your current email with the account, I would suggest waiting until you get home to set it up

OSXpert :

And...nothing on computers is easy :)

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

haha

OSXpert :

:)

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

okay... got ya.... it has to have a program like outlook to work with?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

So, while at work... I should just use the iphone?

OSXpert :

Correct...that or you access it through your web browser

OSXpert :

Yup, iPhone or the web browser

OSXpert :

Whichever you prefer

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

okay... makes sence. And that will work.

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Thanks again for your help Britton... is there an app for Tether?

OSXpert :

no prob -- let me check what Telus' policy is for tethering

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I will look tonight

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Have a good one.... I am sure I will be a pain in your ass again sometime soon!

OSXpert :

You can also Jailbreak your iPhone which will allow you to tether for free -- but that can be a pretty involved process. Not sure if you want to go down that road -- it's also usually against the carrier's policy

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

it worked with my blackberry... when I tried it, it just said that I didn't have it installed on the iphone

OSXpert :

and you're not a pain in the ass at all :) Just glad I have been able to help you

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

it is already jailbroke... fill me in!!

OSXpert :

haha!! nice...go to the Cydia store (an app/icon on the phone) -- there is an app called MyWi

OSXpert :

It will turn your iPhone into a Wireless mobile hotspot so you can connect to your phone wirelessly and use it to surf the web. You can also use it to tether the phone over USB

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

WOW!

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Wish you were my neighbor!

OSXpert :

lol

OSXpert :

You can bookmark my profile page, then you can contact me as if I were your neighbor :)

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

not finding it in search

OSXpert :

in cydia?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

My Wine.... which I could really use right now!

OSXpert :

search for "mywi" -- without the quotes in the Cydia app

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

what is cydia

OSXpert :

Cydia is store (where you can buy apps for your phone) that gets installed when it's jailbroken

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

OH!

OSXpert :

When your phone is jailbroken, Cydia will appear on the home screen (or one of the home screens if you have a lot of Apps

OSXpert :

The icon looks like this...

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

can't find it

OSXpert :

hmmm, hit the home screen button (round, bottom) once.

OSXpert :

If a search box pops up, type "cydia"...if the search box doesn't appear, hit it again

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

well maybe it isn't jailbroke... i was just told it was?

OSXpert :

hmm, who told you it was jailbroken?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

the dude I bought it from

OSXpert :

from the Apple/AT&T store? Or a third party dude?

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

third party

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I bought it brand new on ebay!

OSXpert :

do you still have the ebay auction number (or the URL)? If so, send it to me, I'll see what's up

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

okay.... my bad... says it is "unlocked"

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

different than jailbroke

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

I suspect

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

Thanks for your help though... I will leave you be, I have taken up way too much of your time!

OSXpert :

nah, no worries. Happy to keep working with you if you'd like. Otherwise, hit me up whenever you have more questions

JACUSTOMER-mjo7v0ud- :

You bet... I will!

OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
OSXpert
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer