OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have two wireless routers to provide coverage in my 4000

I have two wireless routers to provide coverage in my 4000 sq. ft. house. The main router is connected to my cable modem. The second router is located on the other side of the house and is wired into a port on the main router. The second router seems slower and often doesn't provide internet connectivity. Is there a proper way to configure to routers that are identical (Netgear models)?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 7 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. What is the exact model of the routers you have?

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

one sec I will check that for you

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

Netgear Wireless N - 150 Router Model WNR1000v2

OSXpert :

sure, thanks

OSXpert :

okay, one sec...

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

this is not really a MAC issue as I am sure you know

OSXpert :

That's fine, I am an expert in the networking category as well...

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok

OSXpert :

You're looking for some functionality called WDS. WDS allows you to set up one wireless router as a "primary" of sorts. Then, the second router is used to extend (the same wireless network created by the primary router) the signal to a greater area of your home.

Let me check to see if the router you have supports WDS...

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok - what does WDS mean?

OSXpert :

It stands for "Wireless Distribution System" -- and as the name describes, it's intended to expand the coverage of your wireless network to a greater area

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok

OSXpert :

Okay -- I just checked, it looks like your router supports WDS only if it's configured for Wireless N mode (802.11n). Do you know if you configured the routers like this when you set them up initially?

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

not sure, I assume you dont mean the speed as N rather some other confif setting?

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

if I log into my router now can we share a desktop so you can see

OSXpert :

Yes, I mean the speed as N. Unfortunately, I cannot log into your machine remotely. Justanswer won't allow it. Believe me, it would make things much easier. But for now, we're restricted to using chat. Let me see if there is a good tutorial on setting up WDS with your routers...hang on

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok while u do that I am checkingthe config of my main router

OSXpert :

k

OSXpert :

Hmmm, the more I look here, there may not be support for WDS with your routers. How long ago did you buy them?

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

not long ago, perhaps 8 months

OSXpert :

bummer, it's been too long to return them though

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ya ur right

OSXpert :

Netgears has some lousy documentation for your router -- the best thing for you to do is to log into the router and browse the available options. You're looking for a setting / feature called WDS...it might also be called "Repeater Mode"

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok I can check that is there anything re the way its wired meaning the main input port from router to router?

OSXpert :

You just have one router plugged into the a port on the other?

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

Main input on one router then wired into main input on the other router

OSXpert :

Gotcha -- that should work, but you'll have to configure two different wireless networks. If you're having slowness issues between them, log into the router and see if you can change the channel that the wireless signal is being broadcast on. If possible, make sure the two routers are both distributing their wireless signals on different channels

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok so diff channels, what about IP addressing?

OSXpert :

Your routers are actually creating two different subnets -- you shouldn't need to configure any special addressing methods. If you get WDS working, the secondary router should then act like a switch and should allow the main router to assign IP addresses via DHCP. However, for now, both routers will assign IP addresses using DHCP and both will be independent of one-another.

The second router will route traffic to the main router using Network Address Translation (NAT) -- this is what allows your secondary router (and your primary for that matter) to funnel multiple connections into a single connection

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok

OSXpert :

Are you all set? Or do you have more questions?

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

i am all set thank you

OSXpert :

good deal. If you're all set, Im going to sign out of this chat session. Let me know if you need more information

JACUSTOMER-826mp2so- :

ok thanks