Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My G5 running DVDstudioPro4 refuses to accept a DVD-R drive

Customer Question
on which to load an...
My G5 running DVDstudioPro4 refuses to accept a DVD-R drive on which to load an MPEG-2/AC3 movie. It ejects the DVD and states that it is "inappropriate media"
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
10/2/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 7 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Chat Conversation Started
iteachmac :

Hi, I would like to help.

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

I am not able to get my DVD Studio Pro4 to accept and burn a DVD-R

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Are you there?

iteachmac :

Hi .

iteachmac :

OK , Have you tied exporting to desktop .

iteachmac :

Tried .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Yes =that works

iteachmac :

Ok , What kind of file did you export ? Can you try burning that to DVD , from Another application etc . Try Toast .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Don't have toast. I was trying to burn an .m2v and AC3 file (movie)

iteachmac :

If you can export to VIDEO_TS that's a step closer . , Can you test the DVD burner in itunes etc to burn a data mp3 disk . .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

I'll try that

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Sorry - had to get back to the G5 (I'm on my laptop)

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

I can't see wher one can burn a DVD on iTunes

iteachmac :

Ok , VIDEO_TS folders need to be burnt to DVD using a UDF format . You drop the VIDEO_TS folder , and create a AUDIO_TS folder in the disk root , top level .. The VIDEO_TS folder contains your .vobs etc . AUDIO_TS folder is normally empty but you do need it for some players . . UDF format disks DVD etc can be burnt using TOAST 10 . il see if theres a way to burn that format via OSX .

iteachmac :

Please test the DVD drive and same media used in itunes , burn MP3 backup etc .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Let me try these and get back to you. How do I reach you?

iteachmac :

I know http://macupdate.com are doing a special on toast at the mo , inc other titles bundle for 50$ as I had the mail shot . I may be able to get you the link ?

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

I tried to used iDVD and get the message "No disk was found in the drive. Please insert a blank DVD-R disk"

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

I have an older version of Toast but for some reason Mac Classic (need for this version) isn't working either (just hangs)

iteachmac :

Ok what version of OSX are you running?

iteachmac :

did itunes take the same disks to burn to ?

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

10.4.11

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

I tunes doesn't detwct a disk either

iteachmac :

Have you tried DVD+R ?? Have you used the disks before? Some drives are fussy about the DVDs you use . try Sony Phillips , TDK etc.

iteachmac :

Are you on a PPC Mac ?

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

For some reason the DVD burner is not sensing a disk in the drive. I have had this working a few months ago. It uses DVD-R

iteachmac :

Toast may not work in classic mode . on OSX , you may need to boot to OS9 to use that version . Better off updating to Toast 10 , or get Disco for burning needs.

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Yes it is a PowerPC Mac G5

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Regrettably this machine does not have OS9 on it.

iteachmac :

Ok , OS9 is dead .

iteachmac :

Option free .. You can burn a DVD from apples disk utilities but you need to make a ISO first in the terminal . see this guide , and try to burn the UDF DVD . http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/burn-a-playable-dvd-from-a-video_ts-folder/

iteachmac :

Power Mac G5 is OK :)

iteachmac :

You can upgrade to 10.5 if you want .

iteachmac :

It was the last release for PPC macs. .

iteachmac :

Disk Utility & Terminal are both found in Mac HD / Applications / Utilities .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

When I try to start Classic it shows the welcome screen and hangs.

iteachmac :

You can test your VIDEO_TS folder before you burn it , either drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the Apple DVD player icon , in the dock . Or use VLC , to play and test it .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

Would disk utility work for a DVD with MPEG/.m2v and Dolby AC3 sound?

iteachmac :

Get the correct PPC version of VLC here :- A free player , the best player for Mac OSX.

Package for PowerPC-based Macs, 1.1.4.1 : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

OK I'll try that. A VIDEO_TS folder should work in QuickTime also - shouldn't it?

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

What's VLC?

iteachmac :

Its a player . It can play any format of video .

iteachmac :

AVI quicktime , VIDEO_TS , MP4 etc

iteachmac :

You can drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD player .

iteachmac :

DVD Player should be in your Applications folder. I would get VLC as well .

JACUSTOMER-sy0og80g- :

OK - you've given me some ideas. They'll take some time to implement. I'm on my laptop whil trying to work on the desktop. I'll sign off for a while.

iteachmac :

Main thing is to test the DVD recording , etc . Also

iteachmac :

If you Duplicate / copy , not move . your DVD project to the Mac desktop , whole thing to your Mac Desktop , and try to burn from that . Sometimes this fixes errors if permissions is an issue . .

iteachmac :

If you can export the VIDEO_TS or ISO IMG , then try burning with Disk utility to DVD .

iteachmac :

Il get you a video on how this Disk burning is done .. hold on 1 sec.

iteachmac :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oH2ehQND4

iteachmac :

This video shows you how to burn an image . The image you created from the VIDEO_TS folder in the Terminal . Or just buy Toast / disco and drag and drop easy , LoL 10 :)

iteachmac :

You should be able to make a IMG for export to Mac HDD in DVDSP using this guide . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJUHLF65iM0 , then burn it using the other guide as a guide .

iteachmac :

This may be the best solution for the moment .

iteachmac :

Do you want to try this .??

iteachmac :

I think you have every thing you need now to try this .

iteachmac :

To burn a data Backup on itunes , go File menu , Library , Backup to disc .

iteachmac :

If your DVD drive is not seeing the DVD media then theres an hardware issue .

iteachmac :

You can try playing a standard Movie DVD using DVD player or VLC?

iteachmac :

Disk utility will burn anything that is in IMG or DMG format the content is not important ..

iteachmac :

A mounted image , once exported can also be played by DVD Player .

iteachmac :

If you have a Power Mac G5 , you may want to swap out the DVD drive for a much improved version , very cheap to do .

iteachmac :

heres the best place to get a new DVD player if you think its worn out . ..http://eshop.macsales.com/static_pages/Framework.cfm?page=superdrive/sdl_powermac_g5.html

iteachmac :

You can try zapping PRAM to see if the DVD drive is reset etc .

iteachmac :

Im not getting your posts .. , please use firefox on this website if your using Safari ..

iteachmac :

Also

iteachmac :

Is it still possible to boot the Machine using the Mac OSX install DVD ? test using OSX install DVD.
Hold C while powering on using a USB keyboard the Mac should boot to DVD ..

iteachmac :

Pram reset if needed ..

extra info :-

Contents of PRAM battery backed memory is similar to a PC's bios chip.
Some Macintosh computers may not have all the settings described below.

Settings Stored in PRAM :-

Status of AppleTalk
Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
Alarm clock setting
Application font
Serial printer location
Autokey rate
Autokey delay
Speaker volume
Attention (beep) sound
Double-click time
Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
Startup disk
Menu blink count
Monitor depth
32-bit addressing
Virtual memory
RAM disk
Disk cache

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously on power on.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.
You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
You must use the build in keyboard or a usb keyboard for imacs and Mac pros or if a laptop keyboard is not working correctly etc.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values.
The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.
Set the clock using the internet via the Time and date preferences , Apple menu , System preferences , Time and date control panel .

If the Time and date is not held in the Mac correctly it will lose time once powered down and no AC or battery is attached for more than 20mins .
If so the internal battery may have to be changed for new .

Let hope this fixes the Issue .

iteachmac :

Also try .

iteachmac :

also try this step to try to correct issues :-

Turn off the Mac .

Power on the Mac .

Hold shift on the keyboard using a USB keyboard , while powering on the Mac and booting , boot to safe mode.

Once booted to safe mode , restart and boot as normal .

Full details here :-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

iteachmac :

Also you can try . :

iteachmac :

Testing for issues.

We can create new accounts in OSX using the Apple menu , System preferences , Accounts control panel to test if problems are resolved .

In the Accounts control panel , Unlock the pad lock , use the + button to add an account .

Disable the automatic logon function , restart and logon to your new account .

From this account you can setup your software etc for your own use with this account.

Applications are shared across the Users on the Mac , application preferences are separate for each account .
Each individual user has its own User folder with Music , pictures , documents , movies etc ,
If the Problem is local to your old user account and not system wide , this should show up if this is the case.

Does this help the issue with the DVD player at all??

iteachmac :

Also you can try as a last resort :

iteachmac :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1436 ,

reset the SMU .

iteachmac :

The SMU (System Management Unit) is a microcontroller chip on the logic board that controls all power functions for your computer. If your computer is experiencing any issues regarding these functions, resetting the SMU may resolve the issue. The functions controlled by the SMU include:

• It tells the computer when to turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, idle, and so on.

• It handles system resets from various commands.

• It controls the fan.

Note that resetting the SMU does not reset the PRAM.

iteachmac :

Other than that , your checking the cables are plugged in ok, and are in good condition . Please check other brands or DVD disk to burn etc , check standard movies , check osx install DVD boot . .

iteachmac :

Ok , how are we getting on ?

iteachmac :

Will switch to Q & A mode .

iteachmac :

Back in 20 mins .

Thanks , please reply here and keep me upto date , I may have not got your last posts ?

Thanks.
iteachmac
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!