Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

This is what suddenly showed up in my wifes MacBook Pro screen

This is what suddenly showed...
This is what suddenly showed up in my wife's MacBook Pro screen when she was on the Internet:

1) On the top it says: "Wait a minute! This is important -we check your device
2) Right under that, there is an open pop up window that says: The page at http://77.78.239.175 says:
Your computer remains infected by viruses! Possible loss of important documents! Return to Securitry Tool and download it to guard your PC.
There are two options in the box: Cancel and OK
3) On the big, main screen, it shows a system scan progress:
a) Under hard drives, there are two folders: one is Shared documents, and there is an "x" by which there is a note saying "Found 17 trojans"; the other one is "My Documents", and it says "Found 28 trojans"
b) Under DVD, one local disk says "Found 264 trojans"; the other one says "Found 15 trojans"
c) Under that, it shows a green bar, under which it says: "scan complete. 329 fileinfos was found!"
d) Under that, there is another red, big "x", after which it says: "Your Computer is Infected!"
e) Under that there is another window called: "fileinfos and actions". Inside, there are the following names: "Trojan-IM.Win16.PS.fp, Trojan.Win32.SubSys.dr, and Trojan-Clicker.HTML.IFrame.bk." After those names, it mentions their risk level to be critical, the number of infected files, and the state: "waiting removal"
f) Under that window, there is another window with a description which says that "this program is potentially dangerous for your system. Troajn-Downloader stealing passwords, credit cards and other personal information from your computer." Then, there is the advice to remove the fileinfo asap.
g) Finally there is a box for you to click that says: "Full system cleanup".

QUESTION: WHAT SHOULD I DO? PLEASE ADVISE ASAP!!!

Thanks a lot!

Enrique
10/2/2010
VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Mac Support Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
VanMagnus Systems :

Sorry to hear of this issue.

VanMagnus Systems :

It appears that you have Malware on the Mac.

VanMagnus Systems :

hello.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

What does that mean? Is that good or bad? Is my Mac infected? What do I need to do? Click on Cancel or OK? Do I need to click on "Full system cleanup"?

VanMagnus Systems :

OK. You have picked up a Malware program. Do you ave an antiviral/antimalware program?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

I have Norton Antivirus.

VanMagnus Systems :

have you recently updated the defenitions?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

No, but several days ago my computer store updated my computer programs. I don't know much about computers.

VanMagnus Systems :

OK. Open Norton, update the Definitions and run a full scan.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

How do I do that? I have a pop-up window asking me for action:

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

The page at http://77.78.239.175 says: Your computer remains infected by viruses! Possible loss of important documents! Return to Securitry Tool and download it to guard your PC. There are two options in the box: Cancel and OK

VanMagnus Systems :

Is Norton running?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

What do I do with that?

VanMagnus Systems :

Do you know how to shut the Mac down?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

I don't know. Yes, shall I just shut it down without clicking any of those windows?

VanMagnus Systems :

Yes, do not click on those windows.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

OK, I will shut it down.

VanMagnus Systems :

OK....

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

I tried doing it, and I got this message in a window:

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

The application Firefox canceled shut down. To try again, quit Firefox and choose shut down from the Apple menu. Shall I try doing that?

VanMagnus Systems :

Yes Sir.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

Hey, all those windows disappeared after I did that! Now what?

VanMagnus Systems :

Reboot please.

VanMagnus Systems :

Then Open Norton

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

How do I do that? I can't figure it out!

VanMagnus Systems :

Did you reboot?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

Yes.

VanMagnus Systems :

Are those Popups still there?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

No.

VanMagnus Systems :

1. Open the Applications folder, then the Symantec Solutions folder, and then Symantec Endpoint Protection.

2. In the Symantec application window, click Scan... .

3. Navigate to the file, folder or volume you want to scan and click Select.

VanMagnus Systems :

You may have just had a Popup that would have installed Malware on the Mac.

VanMagnus Systems :

Did you start the scan?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

I don't see Symantec Solutions under applications, but I have a folder on my desktop entitled RemoveSymantecMacFiles. Is that it? No, I have no started any scans. I am not even close!

VanMagnus Systems :

OK.

VanMagnus Systems :

You do not want to remove the Norton.

VanMagnus Systems :

Norton should be under the Applications folder.

VanMagnus Systems :

It might just say Symantec.

VanMagnus Systems :

Now, did you find Norton/Symantec?

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

I don't see it. I am now in the process of copying you on everything I have under applications. It will take me a couple of minutes: I am e-mailing it to my computer.

VanMagnus Systems :

After doing a bit more research, you avoided a pop up that would have installed Malware on the Mac.

VanMagnus Systems :

Since you did not click on it, it did not install.

VanMagnus Systems :

OK.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

So, does that take care of the problem? I was not able to paste my applications onto my e-mail.

VanMagnus Systems :

Yes.

VanMagnus Systems :

;o)

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

Well, thanks a lot!!! My wife and I were panicking!

VanMagnus Systems :

If my assistance has resolved you issue, Please Accept my Answer.

VanMagnus Systems :

You are welcome.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

I will do that! Have a great night!

VanMagnus Systems :

You too Sir.

JACUSTOMER-0mhrigfn- :

Thanks!

VanMagnus Systems :

You are most welcome.

VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems