OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I would like to deauthorize my daughters mac so she can authourize

I would like to deauthorize my daughter's mac so she can authourize her new mac for iTunes, etc. Unfortunately, the old mac has died and I cannot start it up to deauthorize it. Furthermore, I cannot "deauthorize all" because I've already done this in the past year.

How do I deauthorize a "dead" computer?!
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hello, my name is Britton. Are you available?

OSXpert :

Are you available?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Great. So, you have a dead computer that you want to deauthorize from your iTunes account?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Gotcha. Deauthorizing a dead computer can be tricky...

OSXpert :

Honestly, the quickest and easiest way is to contact Apple directly...first, go to this website:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/#authorization

OSXpert :

In the list of gray bars on the left, click "Authorize or Deauthorize your computer"

OSXpert :

Then on the right side, underneath where it says, "Express Lane", click "Get Started"

Customer :

i'm with you so far

OSXpert :

okay good, next make sure the "iTunes Authorization or de-authorization" radio button is selected, click continue

OSXpert :

At the next screen, you can choose to chat with an Apple representative live, or you can fill out a form indicating your intent to de-authorize one of your computers

Customer :

got it - i will give that a try

OSXpert :

good deal, they're usually pretty good about getting back to you pretty quickly. I would assume they would get in touch with you sometime later today

OSXpert :

They are in PST, so they're basically just getting started for the day

Customer :

ok, i sent an email

Customer :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX helpful

Customer :

i will "accept" this help

Customer :

have a good day

OSXpert :

excellent, thanks and let me know if you need more help

OSXpert :

take care