Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just bought a new computer and installer itunes. How do I

Customer Question
get access to all the...
I just bought a new computer and installer itunes. How do I get access to all the itunes I have purchased and or have stored?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer replied 7 years ago
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX are you avaiable?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

yes

OSXpert :

Great, can you explain in more detail what it is you're trying to do?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

I just bought a new computer and I don't have access to all the itunes previously purchased or stored.

OSXpert :

Have you transferred the songs to your new computer, just not into iTunes?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

I can usby new song on my new computer but all the previous song do not show up in my library. How do I transfer my previously purchased itunes?

OSXpert :

Okay, the songs are on the old computer, correct?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

yes

OSXpert :

Great, do you have an external hard drive or something similar (flash drive) that we can use to transfer the music?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

yes. Is it that simple? I was under the impression that the music was backup in itunes hyperspace?

OSXpert :

Well, it depends. Do you have new tunes on the new computer? In other words, do you want to merge two libraries together?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

My new computer is empty. All I wanted to do was sign in an have access to all my previously purchased itunes. When I sign in I don't see what has been previously purchased. My fear is that if I have a hard drive failure I lose all my music?

OSXpert :

That's cool, its actually easier to transfer one library as opposed to merging them. Apple will not allow you to download your tunes again (or their policy states that at least), that's why you don't see them

OSXpert :

Anyhow, grab your flash drive (or hard drive) and plug it into the old computer

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

That sucks! Let me get the flash.,

OSXpert :

Keep me updated so I don't get too far ahead

OSXpert :

Yeah, it's a lousy policy. Especially if your hard drive dies and you lose your tunes. Good thing you still have yours on your old comp

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

ok I have the flash installed and itunes called up

OSXpert :

First, close iTunes.

Open My Computer->My Music

In here, you'll see a folder called "iTunes". Copy it to your flash drive. Let me know when it finishes

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

ok I clicked on my music - found itunes and clicked on it and it opened up what looks like the internet site

OSXpert :

Don't open the iTunes folder, just open My Music. You should see the iTunes folder there. Right-click it (single click), choose Send-To, and choose the flash drive. That should start it copying

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

let me give it a try

OSXpert :

k

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

my flash is blinking. How do I know when its finished?

OSXpert :

you should get a progress bar, do you see it?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

no progress bar but when I open up the flash I can see the itunes list

OSXpert :

right click it, choose properties. see what the size is

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

14KB

OSXpert :

that doesn't seem right. this is the old computer, right? and the folder is the iTunes folder located in My Music?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

On this computer I only have 80 tunes. Does 14KB sound right now?

OSXpert :

no, way too low

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

now what?

OSXpert :

check the size on the actual folder inside of My Music

OSXpert :

check the size on the actual iTunes folder inside of My Music

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

579KB

OSXpert :

still not right

OSXpert :

open itunes

OSXpert :

right click one of the songs, then click show in windows explorer

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

In a folder called itunes music the size is 2.55MB

OSXpert :

okay, what is the entire path? it should be at the top of the screen

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

The music is not right however.

OSXpert :

what do you mean?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

The path seems correct ending in \itunes. The music folder is beetthoven

OSXpert :

okay, what do you mean the music isn't right?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

non of my tunes are present in this folder

OSXpert :

right click one of the songs that you recognize

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

and so what?

OSXpert :

click show in finder. see what folder it's in

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

Previous iTunes Libraries

OSXpert :

okay great, navigate to that folder

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

i did I am at iTunes Library 136KB

OSXpert :

what is inside?

OSXpert :

no, something still isn't right. each song should be ~4MB (4,000KB). are you sure you're in the same folder that itunes said the song was in?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

It opens up a window that makes u feel like your are logged into iTunes

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

I don

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

I don't know

OSXpert :

you need to right click a song that you recognize. select "show in windows explorer"

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

The songs play from this location

OSXpert :

it should show you the exact path of the song (c:\some\folder\name

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

It does but it open up the iTunes internet page not an window file

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

In the library there are 650MB worth of music but I can only listen to them I can copy them

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

can

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

can't

OSXpert :

when you click windows explorer, it will look like internet explorer, but it's actually showing you a file on your local system. I need to know what the path is in the address bar at the top of this window

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

c document and settings tad falzarano my music

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

I think I have figure out how to copy the files on to the flash. Now what?

OSXpert :

okay good, copy the entire iTunes folder to the flash drive. on the new machine, make sure iTunes is closed, then copy the iTunes folder to My Documents->My Music (it should replace a folder that is already there)

OSXpert :

Then you should be all set, open iTunes and all of your old content will be there

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

No it didn't work it copied all the folder but not the files

OSXpert :

how much space is available on your flash drive?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

1G

OSXpert :

how many songs do you have?

JACUSTOMER-ja58k4ns- :

nonf from my original library. I have only the one I bought today after I downloaded itunes on my new cpu

OSXpert :

I mean how many tunes are on your old computer -- totoal

OSXpert
OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer