Mac

Hi guys, I just restarted my mac and the monitor wont start…

Hi guys, I just...
Hi guys,
I just restarted my mac and the monitor won't start or light up. The mac does start, I can hear all the usual noises but the monitors just wont. I have tried 3 different monitors and none of them are working on this specific mac. They all work on the other macs and laptops but not in my main machine.
Please help.
JC... Read full answer
Hi guys,
Please help.
JC
9/28/2010
Mike, Mac Medic

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory. If you can’t do that do you know what system version, processor and model Mac it is?

OSX 10.5.4 Leopard
Mac Pro
3 Ghz
OK try this:
Restart:
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys until you hear the chime three times then let go of the keys.
Hi Mike,
Nothing happens, video still not going through. I can hear the mac starting up with all the usual noises but the monitors are not responding.
The last thing I did was an update for TechTool Pro 5 and repaired the permissions.
I restarted the computer and monitors are not working. I tested them both on my MacBook Pro and they bothe work fine.
Thank you for your help.
OK

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Then run Software Update under the Apple Logo.
I would love to but, I cannot see anything on my computer. Monitors are not wokring.
Right duh.... Are you capable of opening the MacPro and adding removing the video card?
Yes, what am I looking for when I do?
I would try taking the card out restart without it in and then shut down seat the card securely and try a start it up again. But if you have another MAC around we can try soemthign else first

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 9/28/2010 at 4:03 AM EST
I have a MacBook Pro. Let's try something else first if you want, your call.
OK restart the MacPro in Target disk mode by starting it up while holding down the T key. Connect the MacPro to the laptop with a Firewire Cable and if all is working properly the drive will mount on the desktop of the laptop. The run the Disk Utility on it.
After you have done that whether it works or not try this:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
I have to quit for the night can we continue tomorrow?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 9/28/2010 at 4:23 AM EST
Yes, I will try what you suggest and I will get back to you tomorrow.
It will have to be after 8 PM because I have to photograph a Golf Tournament early in the morning and the after party as well.
Thank you.
I will be in touch.
OK I’ll look for you
Hi Mike,
I was able to restart the MacPro in Target disk mode and run the Disk Utility.
Monitors still not working. I can see and access my computer via Firewire cable and as disk mode. Do you think there is a problem with the video card?
Might be. You can try reseating it after restarting with it out, but if you can borrow a card from another MacPro and try it I guess that would tell you. Any Applecare on that Mac?
Thank you Mike. I just did and it did not work. Nohting changed.
I have no other mac that I can borrow a card from. I will buy a new one and give it a try.
Do you know if I can pick one up at a Mac store?
No apple care plan anymore.
Thanks again.
If you tell me the serial number of the Mac I can recommend one
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of the card I just removed (again) is:
4H7110375WXZ1 (NNN) NNN-NNNN630T0002

Could it be the internal battery? I have had this Mac for about 5 years now.
Sorry I meant the Mac serial. It could be the motherboard so make sure wherever you get one from you can return it just in case. You might want to check with the manufacturer of the card also they may have a replacement or upgrade option.
Serial # XXXXX
How much do you want to spend?
$100?
OK then this one is out I have it and it is great.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2805

I don‘ think you will find one for that price here are Apple’s options:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?n=graphic_cards&mco=MTQ5NjYyNDQ&s=topSellers

I would just go to Apple store and see what they have that way you can return it if it is not the card.
Thanks Mike. I'll go to the Apple store tomorrow and keep you updated.

So just be sure, or at least pretty sure, the Video card is the culprit?
Can’t be sure which is why I said make sure you can take it back
Thanks Mike, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and be in touch.
Thanks much.
Off to bed.
Ok
Mike, Mac Medic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I restarted my macbookpro and it won't complete the restart.
I restarted my macbookpro and it won't complete the restart. … read more
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Owner,
When pressing the power button on my mid 2011 27" imac I can
When pressing the power button on my mid 2011 27" imac I can hear the fan run for about 3 or 4 second then stops and starts again 3 to 4 seconds over and over and never get a chime.… read more
Support Technician,
I have a macbook pro and the audio does not work. I went
I have a macbook pro and the audio does not work. I went into system preferences to sound. All of the input and output effects are check mute. And it won't allow my to change that setting. … read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
My MacBook Pro bought in 2007 was working fine last night.
My MacBook Pro bought in 2007 was working fine last night. I left it on with internet windows open to go for dinner. When I came back it was off, dead? Holding the power button down I got a wimpy litt… read more
Jesse
Jesse
Apple Consultant,
Some College
My mac laptop wont start after I turn it on I tried to start
My mac laptop won't start after I turn it on I tried to start in a safe mode, single user mode, start off apple cd nothing happen.… read more
robgranholm
robgranholm
IT Administrator and Support,
My keypad (wireless) and magic mouse are both not being recognized
My keypad (wireless) and magic mouse are both not being recognized by our iMac. I can't do anything. I tried powering down but nothing seems to work.… read more
Mac Genius,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Trying foe 1/2 hour to connect apple bluetooth keyboard...will
Trying foe 1/2 hour to connect apple bluetooth keyboard...will not ''pair recognizes keyboard but not PAIR...batteries fresh...keyboard lighting up...discoverable under bluetooth checked discoverable.… read more
Mac Genius,
My MacBook pro wont start. Ive tried all the fixes, it sounds
My MacBook pro won't start. I've tried all the fixes, it sounds like it's booting but just a black screen Help… read more
Mary
Mary
Digital Printing Consultant,
For some reason my big monitor stopped working. There is pow
For some reason my big monitor stopped working. There is power but when I close the computer the display does not transfer to the monitor… read more
Tom
Tom
3 years college
Why does am I getting vertical, thin lines on my screen. This
Why does am I getting vertical, thin lines on my screen. This is the second iMac that has done this on me.… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
my macbook went into sleep mode and wont wake up so i removed
my macbook went into sleep mode and wont wake up so i removed the batterty and now it wont turn on at all. what do i do… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
Hello. I have a problem with my PowerMac G5. As soon as I
Hello. I have a problem with my PowerMac G5. As soon as I plug the power cable in I hear a clicking noise (that is usually heard when it powers down). Then when I push the button to turn on the comput… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
Stop searching for answers—
iBook G4 will not turn on. Have not had any past problems with
iBook G4 will not turn on. Have not had any past problems with freezing etc. It has been plugged in and battery power strong… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
I have an iBook G4 that evidently need a new hard drive. Are
I have an iBook G4 that evidently need a new hard drive. Are there step by step instructions available to help me install a new hard drive?… read more
Mac Genius,
I just turned on my Macbook pro and the display wont work.
I just turned on my Macbook pro and the display won't work. It was just working fine this morning. I am on the road and do not have a start up disk, I do however have my wife's computer.… read more
IEEE Datacommunication Engineer,
Hi Bob, the fixes you suggested for my iMac didnt do it--it
Hi Bob, the fixes you suggested for my iMac didn't do it--it just won't boot up. i have the install disks, but can't use them as it is. what now?… read more
Bob Cook
Bob Cook
My monitor wont turn on. I have a mac book pro. I was watching
My monitor won't turn on. I have a mac book pro. I was watching a DVD the shut my computer. When I came back, the monitor was dead. I reset the PRAM. Now, I can hear it. The keyboard lights up. But th… read more
Shawn
Shawn
Professor,
I dropped my Mac Book about 16 hiiting my thigh and then dropping
I dropped my Mac Book about 16" hiiting my thigh and then dropping about 4 inches and hitting my carpeted floor. The screen went white and is still on. I reboted it and the start up sound was heard an… read more
The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer