Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Omer, I am, as you may remember, new to Mac. I just bought

Hi Omer, I am, as...
Hi Omer, I am, as you may remember, new to Mac. I just bought an iBook off Ebay and you helped me sync my iphone to my iBook. I have a few more issues that I am trying to figure out and need your help. I can't connect my iBook to my wireless network. I have clicked on the wireless symbol at the top right and see my network and enter the password, but it will not connect. The error reads: "there was an error joining the AirPort network "mike." Any suggestions? Thanks!
9/23/2010
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Omer Mushahwar :

Can you tell me what version of wireless router you are using

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

Belkin N+Wireless Router

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you connect to this router with any other wireless devices

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

Yes, we have 3 other laptops that connect with no problem

Omer Mushahwar :

are they all pcs or macs as well

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

all pcs

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

I have an appointment that I have to get to. May I check back with you in an hour or so?

Omer Mushahwar :

Sounds good

Omer Mushahwar :

When you get a chance can you log into your router configuration from one of the PCs and tell me if it is using for security WAP WPA2 WEP

Omer Mushahwar :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

Hi Omer, I am on one of the pc's and in "my computer" devices and from there, I'm not sure where to find the router configuration security. Am I in the correct place?

Omer Mushahwar :

You going to want to open a web browser internet explorer or whatever you use on the pc

Omer Mushahwar :

go to http://192.168.2.1

Omer Mushahwar :

it should ask you to log in with your user and password

Omer Mushahwar :

it may just ask for username

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

ok, I'll check....

Omer Mushahwar :

alright

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

It's asking for a password. Is that the same as the wireless security password? default = blank

Omer Mushahwar :

should be

Omer Mushahwar :

unless you set it to be different

Omer Mushahwar :

if you never set one of the router it maybe blank

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

64 bit WEP

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

Had to leave it blank... 64bitWEP

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok

Omer Mushahwar :

Now this is going to sound wierd but try this

Omer Mushahwar :

go to your ibook

Omer Mushahwar :

1. From the Airport menu, select the SSID of your network
2. When asked for a password, enter 0x (thats zero-x) followed by your WEP key, i.e. 0xFF12345678
3. Your computer should now connect with no problems at all.

Omer Mushahwar :

give it a try and let me know

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

ok, I clicked on the wireless and then my "mike" network. I don't see anything that says SSID. Should I?

Omer Mushahwar :

SSID is "mike"

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

:) ok

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

my WEP key is 0x and then my password XXXXX the router?

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

or the key that I got from the pc?

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

just answered my own question, sorry... brb

Omer Mushahwar :

yes essentially you want to type in 0x plus the password XXXXX use to connect your laptop

Omer Mushahwar :

lol

Omer Mushahwar :

Its always good when we can answer our own questions :-)

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

ok, I think it worked. I will unplug the cord and if I lose you I'll connect and find you.

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok sounds good

Omer Mushahwar :

You should be able to come back to the question with this link http://www.justanswer.com/questions/40zx2-hi-omer-i-am-as-you-may-remember-new-to-mac-i-just-bought

Omer Mushahwar :

if the issue is solved please remember to click accept answer so we can close the question

JACUSTOMER-1pggi7vh- :

I know

Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar