Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

MAC Laptop iBookG4 with OS !0.4.11. When I open System

MAC Laptop "iBookG4" with OS !0.4.11. When I open "System Preferences/network", I get the network window covered by an error message "The settings have been changed by another application". I click on the OK button (its the only one there) and the error message disappears briefly,but instantly reappears. Also, I have to "Force Quit" to get out of what is on the screen. I don't understand what this message means, why I am getting it, or how to get rid of it.

This occurred when I was preparing to log on to a wireless network in another city, and was unable to do so because I couldn't access it. My other computer was on in minutes, but the modem wouldn't accept the WEP on the subject laptop.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

As a workaround, I suggest you go to preferences -> Security, and check the box that says "require a password XXXXX unlock each system preferences pane". This should prevent whatever is changing your settings from doing that.

Mike the MacMedic :

Put all the apps back