Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Mike Im Ron Matheson and you were helping me with my Entourage

Customer Question
Hi Mike: I'm Ron Matheson...
Hi Mike: I'm Ron Matheson and you were helping me with my Entourage problems this a.m. I was premature when i said that everything opened just fine thinking i had changed the startup disk to my main system. I hadn't so that is why everything opened fine. So then I followed your instructions and ran the upgrade on the files and I was then able to open Entourage in my main system. But everything is missing and it goes back to the first day i had it. All the emails and the folders are not there. So then I restarted from my backup and all the Entourage info, emails and folders are there. So which file do I move from my backup or from my Time Machine to bring back all those files? Thanks, [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
9/3/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 7 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Go to Macintosh HD/Users/Your username Folder/Documents, and drag Microsoft User Data Folder to desktop then copy the same folder from the backup drive to Documents, then open Entourage.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Mike:

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Just a clarification please. I am in my backup startup drive. If I go to my Documents folder and move the User Data Folder to the desktop it goes on the desktop but disappears from the Documents folder. Shouldn't i move it to the same folder on my main drive?

Mike the MacMedic :

No, on your main drive you move the folder to the desktop to save it and then copy the backup folder to Documents on the Main drive.

Mike the MacMedic :

To copy it

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

So as I understand what you are saying you want me to restart on my main drive and then copy from the backup to the desktop. Is that what you are saying/

Mike the MacMedic :

No start up from your main drive and drag Microsoft User Data Folder to desktop then copy the same folder from the backup drive to Documents, then open Entourage.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

I'm still in my backup and I'm copying that User Data folder to the main drive's desktop. Then I plan to restart on the main drive and move that folder from the desktop to the documents file. Do you think this will work? Thanks for your patience.

Mike the MacMedic :

The reason I had you move the old one first is because they have the same name

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Well I did what i said. And restarted in the main drive, moved the folder over to the document folder and started Encourage. It asked me which identity and when i clicked on my usual, it opened with all the folders, emails, just like old times.

Mike the MacMedic :

So it‘s good?

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Forgot to add, i have been a Mac user since '84. Had one of the first in California. But i am now 75 and even though things should be simpler, I find i need a little direction to the proper procedures. Thanks for being there. And the answer is "Yes, it does appear to be good." But before I accept this second payment i just want to check things out a little more. Thanks again, Ron

Mike the MacMedic :

Yes don‘t throw out the old folder until you are sure. Good luck

Mike the MacMedic :

My mother is also 75 and you are doing way better than her.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Great talking with you. Have a great Holiday!

Mike the MacMedic :

You too!

Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic