Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

just changed my password needed to unlock my screen and I forgot

Customer Question
just changed my password XXXXX...
just changed my password XXXXX to unlock my screen and I forgot it!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 7 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
Do you have your installation disks?

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

no

Daniel :

Probably the simplest way to handle this is to shut it down by holding the power button down and restart it. This is supposing that the login password XXXXX the unlock screen password XXXXX not the same.
If that is the case and you will be able to reset the screen unlock password XXXXX much trouble.

Daniel :

Try that and let me know if it works.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

I'll try it

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

now should I go to forgot password?

Daniel :

is that with the screen is asking you?

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

just says "password XXXXX:

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

yes

Daniel :

Do you have a password XXXXX?

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

but still doesn't register....

Daniel :

If you do and it reminds you of what it is you should be good to go, if not then we have other methods.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

still don't remember it

Daniel :

Okay, we will have to do this the hard way.
Follow these instructions exactly or it will not work.

To do this, follow these steps EXACTLY:

New admin account from Boot:

Reboot

Hold COMMAND and S keys down as soon as you hear the chime.

When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw / Note the spaces after mount and the w. very important

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone note the space after the rm

shutdown -h now note the space after the n in shutdown and after the h

When it restarts, you will have a new admin account to boot into.

Now go to the Apple Menu and choose System Preferences. Click on Accounts.

Click on his account and try to change the password. If you cannot, then deleting and saving is the only option to get access to those files.

Delete the User and it will ask you what to do with it. Choose save as archive/image.

The OS will remove that user and save it on your Desktop or in the Macintosh HD.

Double-click to open it. The files will be saved in various locations in that mounted image.

Daniel :

Let me know if you have problems.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

how do you reboot?

Daniel :

That is the same as a restart, there should be a button on the dialog box but if not just press and hold the power button to shut it down and then press it again to restart.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

holding the command and s key...nothing happening

Daniel :

Are you using the keyboard on the MacBook Pro or are you using an external keyboard?

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

on the mac

Daniel :

The command key is the one with the apple and the Cloverleaf.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

oh

Daniel :

You can start by holding those keys down before the chime.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

first of all when I rebooted there was no chime, second - doesn't the command key say "command"? Not getting it

Daniel :

Some do and some don't, yours may mine does not.

It sounds like there is more wrong than just this but try a pram reset and tell me if you hear any startup sounds.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

Daniel :

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Daniel :

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Daniel :

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Daniel :

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

Daniel :

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

Daniel :

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Daniel :

Let me know what happens.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

after the 4 chimes press command s?

Daniel :

try it.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

no chimes

Daniel :

Do you get any kind of sound from your speakers at all? Was there any flashes on the screen?

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

no

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

I get sounds - like when I restart it -- but not when I hold the buttons down

Daniel :

You have those four buttons and only those four buttons all at the same time?

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

yes -- on the screen it just is asking for my password

Daniel :

then your keyboard is not functioning. And that may be the problem you're having with your password.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

I don't think so...

Daniel :

Because there are only two reasons for the pram reset not to work, one is it is not being done correctly and the other is the keyboard is not functioning.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

anything else I should try

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

can you call me?

Daniel :

I cannot call you, but perhaps another expert may be better able to help.

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

u there

JACUSTOMER-cyw1x5mf- :

anybody there?

Daniel, Mac Genius