Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a MAC that is performing very very slowly. Details iMAC

I have a MAC that is performing very very slowly.

Details:

iMAC 4.1 / OS X ver 10.6.4 (upgraded about 6 months ago) / Just upgraded to 2G Ram

I took it to the apple store and they check the hard drive. Using Disk utility noted that the permissions needed to be "repaired" which we did.

The mac is plugged into a Netgear router as is my PC which runs with quick speed.

Its both internet and non-internet problem.

> Any ideas if there is some background (hidden) processes that might be slowing down the responsivness?

> Is there something else I can check / diagnose?

> Could I have something akin to a virus or somthing that attached from web searches?

Thanks

Shel
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello Shel, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
What you probably need is some system maintenance, I am going to provide you with a few tools that will help you with this.
The first one is this PDF that explains what the background maintenance is about.
Background Maintenance

Download this widget and run the UNIX routines that you find under the icon of the Hammer and Wrench.
Maintenance Widget
Then we will look in your startup items folder and see what is automatically started when you login or start up.
That you will find on your hard drive/Library/Startup Items.
Tell me what you find there please.

Customer :

Hi Daniel,

Customer :

I down loaded the maint widget and checked the startup folder. Looks like the folder is empty. Does that make sense?

Daniel :

It just means that there's nothing that is automatically starting and that is a good thing.
The next thing you want to look at is in your System Preferences/Accounts look in the tab that says login items and tell me what you find there.

Customer :

There are 4 items in the Login Items:

Customer :

Firefox / LimeWire At Login / System Events / MozyHome Status

Daniel :

Get rid of LimeWire by selecting it and then pressing the - you could also get rid of mosey home.
Then do a complete restart and see what happens now. I think you'll notice a big difference.

Customer :

ok - got rid of both LW and Mozy. Let me see what kind of difference that makes.

Daniel :

Go for it.

Daniel :

LimeWire is a big hog.

Customer :

Seems to be working better. Thanks for your help.