Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My IMac has started to freeze up and the display shows a black

line running part way across...
My IMac has started to freeze up and the display shows a black line running part way across it just before this happens. I have to cold boot with the power button when this happens, which I believe is making the problem worse. Any idea what could be wrong?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2010
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
From your description it sounds like the logic board.
How old is the iMac?

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

about 3-4 years old.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

is there a way to test that theory?

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

is this thing on?

Daniel :

Sorry,Sorry, I was away a minute.

Daniel :

From the Apple menu, select 'About This Mac' and tell me what the processor speed is. This will let me know what types of diagnostics I can have you do that may help.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

me too. I'll fire it up and let you know what it says; working from a different computer at the moment

Daniel :

okay, I am standing by

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core duo

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

Bus speed 667 MHz

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

just now found the diagnostics option. should I run that?

Daniel :

Try this and let me know if there is any change.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

4. Release the power button.

5. Attach the computers power cable.

6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

you for real?

Daniel :

Why, have you tried this? This will reset the main power controler among other things.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

trying it now. it sounded bizarre is all, but I am a mere civilian, inexperienced in these things.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

It

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

It's up and running. Not sure how to trigger the behavior - it usually starts after it's been running a while

Daniel :

This is the Apple support article that this is from.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

it does seem to be perkier

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

so far so good

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

do you think I should run any diagnostics on it?

Daniel :

These are a few other things that will help with all Macs. The last one explains what they do.
Maintenance WidgetRepairing Permissions
Background Maintenance

Daniel :

The first two should be seperate.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

sorry - can you clarify the bit where you say the first two should be separate? Which 2?

Daniel :

You may want to take it to see an Apple Genius at an Apple store, they will confirm my diagnoses or they may be able to fix it fairly cheap.
The Maintenance Widget and Repairing Permissions, they stuck together.

Daniel :

They will download automatically.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

ok. Well, the black line on the display is back. usually means it's about to lock up :(

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

I'll try the widgets you suggested

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

any other suggestions? do you know about how much logic boards run if that's the trouble?

Daniel :

My experience with Apple is very good for this type of repair. I just had one iBook and one MacBook Pro logic boards replaced and each was $310.00 for any repair needed on the machines, from keyboards to screens.
That is why I suggest Apple, I don't know where you are so I don't konw the nearest store.

JACUSTOMER-nym4xma2- :

k. thanks!

Daniel :

I do know that $310 is way cheaper than a new Mac.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius