Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Mac Mail is doing something very strange. When I try to

reply to a message, it...
My Mac Mail is doing something very strange. When I try to reply to a message, it gives me another reply button instead of a send button. If I click the "reply" button, it puts a "reply to all" button where the "send" button should be. If I click the "reply to all" button, it gives me a "reply" button where the send button should be. If I then click on the "reply" or the "reply to all" button, it toggles between the two. The only way I can send a reply to a message is by saving the reply as a draft and then sending it from the draft folder. What's wrong and how do I fix it?
8/2/2010
Mike, Mac Medic
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Customer :

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11, Processor: 1.66 GHz Intel Core Dua, Memory: 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Customer :

I've done the Verify Disk which was okay and I did the repair permissions and it did find some problems with the permissions on "flash". It corrected these. This did not change the way the Mail package acts.

Mike the MacMedic :

Select your Inbox and go to Mailbox/Rebuild

Customer :

I completed the Mailbox/Rebuild. There was no effect.

Mike the MacMedic :

Can you take a screenshot of what is happening? send it to:

(Edited by Moderator)

To take a sceenshot hold down Shift and Command and the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures folder. Let me know when sent.

Customer :

I've just sent the screen shots.

Customer :

I sent the screen shots but the files appear to be in reverse chronological order. The last one shows the system as it is when I enter it; the first one shows how I can send it using the draft folder.

Customer :

Are you there now?

Customer :

Hello?!?

Customer :

It says awaiting customer action. Was I supposed to do something after sending you the screen shots?

Mike the MacMedic :

No I am looking at them. From what I see that is the way it is supposed to work. If you hit Reply All the only option in the window that pops up will be just Reply because that is the only other option available. Am I missing something?

Customer :

Maybe I'm missing something. I thought that I was supposed to get a "send" button when I've finished typing the message.

Customer :

I never get the "send" button.

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to View/Customize toolbar and drag the icons you want to use the top bar.

Mike the MacMedic :

Do this when you have a Reply window open to add the Send button.

Maria-Moderator40785.7449238079
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic