Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Mac Book Pro is giving me a Your Start-up disc is full .

Customer Question
My Mac Book Pro is...
My Mac Book Pro is giving me a "Your Start-up disc is full". I have removed 10,000 pic tures or more but it still shows a full disc.

Can you help?

Matthias White
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
8/2/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 years ago
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com
Quick question you tell me the exact version of MAC OSX you are using? 10.xx

You can find this out by clicking the apple in the top left corner of your screen and selecting about this mac

Thanks

Customer:

I am using 10.6.4

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok quick question could you tell me how much free space you have on your hard drive?

Omer Mushahwar :

I ask this because the message indicates that you are running out of space on the Hard drive that runs your Mac Operating system

Customer:

I have aXXXXX it is showing 159.xx used

Omer Mushahwar :

I See that you moved a number of pictures once you moved them did you go back and delete the old copies and remember to empty the trash so they are permanently removed and free up the space are you HD?

Customer:

Yes, I deleted the pictures, then emptied the trash.

Omer Mushahwar :

Do you have a lot of music store on this laptop? Itunes libraries are usually the next biggest item when it comes to taking up space on a laptop

Customer:

Yes, I do have music but I have not added anything for almost a year.

Omer Mushahwar :

Or do you have a large Iphoto library? as i photo library stores a copy for itself of the pictures as well

Customer:

I was downloading pictures when I received the message.

Customer:

I'll check

Customer:

I have checked the library and the pcitures I have deleted are no longer there. My library says "Events" and "Photos", two ways of looking at the same pictures. Both show that the pictures I deleted are no longer there.

Customer:

Hi, my computer froze and I had to shut it down manually.

Customer:

How do I find out the iTunes info?

Customer:

I have downloaded the disk sweeper (using Safari). Should I try and open it?

Omer Mushahwar :

Either by opening Itunes and seeing at the bottom where it shows you the size and total length of time the library plays for or you can open itunes and under preferences it should tell you what folder you are storing music in

Omer Mushahwar :

Yes please try and install the program and run it if the computer lets you

Customer:

I am trying to run it but nothing seems to be happening....

Customer:

Is it possible for me to come back to you later, perhaps in a few days. I have to leave on a trip, previously planned and this looks like it will take time.

Omer Mushahwar :

hi sorry for the delay stepped away a second, it may not let you install it based on space but it was worth a try

Customer:

Matthias

Omer Mushahwar :

that is fine the question may or may not time out but you should be able to get back into it and response which would reactivate it

Customer:

I am back in town. Can we continue to try and solve the problem. My credit card has been charged but I still have the problem.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi yes we can continue Just Answer.coms site takes what is a good faith deposit, if you dont get an answer you can always request a refund of your deposit

Customer:

Where shall we go now?

Omer Mushahwar :

Where you able to clear some space on the mac?

Customer:

No

Omer Mushahwar :

Did you try moving your itunes library yet? You had mentioned before that you would move it to your external hard drive

Customer:

Are you coming back?????

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi sorry I had to step away from my computer a second

Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar