Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i have gmail trouble, rather my son does. We purchased a phone

Customer Question
i have gmail trouble, rather...
i have gmail trouble, rather my son does. We purchased a phone from Verizon where we set up his account. Then we bought an ipad and added the google gmail - i must have remembered the password XXXXX then. We had to hard reset his phone and have tried every combination of password XXXXX know of. I've gone all through reporting to google and they say i don't have enough info to prove I own the account. Now the phone is stuck and in an attempt to get the password XXXXX of the Ipad...I deleted it from there, making me mother of the year.
i guess i can create a new google gmail for him, I would just rather use this one since his friends have it etc. Any ideas? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX mom!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 7 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Is this what you tried? Recover a Forgotten Gmail Password

To reset your forgotten Gmail password:

Make sure you either
have a secondary email address specified for your Gmail account or
you have not logged into your Gmail account for 5 days.
Follow the I cannot access my account link from the Gmail log-in page.
Click I've forgotten my password.
Type your Gmail user name (what precedes "@gmail.com" in your Gmail address) under Username:.
Click Submit.
Type the letters in the captcha into the field beneath the image.
Click Submit.
Depending on whether you have a secondary email address specified or not,
open the Google Password XXXXX message in your secondary email account and follow the password XXXXX link in it or
type the answer to your security question and click Submit.
Enter the desired new password XXXXX both New password: and Re-enter password.
Click Reset password.
If you have used your Gmail account in the past five days but have not specified a secondary email address, you'll have to wait for these five days to pass.

No Secondary Address and Your Answer to the Security Question Does not Work?

Are you unable to reset your Gmail password, either through a secondary address or by answering your security question?

Make sure you are trying to access the right account.
Check the account name for misspellings.
Does the security question sound familiar?
Contact Google with as many details that allow them to identify you as the account holder as possible.

Customer:

Customer:

i've seen this info on the google pages and tried several times i've waited the 5 days and then filled out their insane report, then they tell me i don't have enough info to prove i own the account. I did however, successfully associate my email with his account a couple days ago. Maybe i wait and try again. The verizon guy set up his account when we bought the phone and we have no idea what the secret question is.

Mike the MacMedic :

Hello is that what you already tried?

Customer:

then there's the issue that this is his facebook email so won't the email essentially be used when someone sends him a facebook message? I feel like we're a bit stuck. I thought the AM that the best thing to do is just start fresh and create a new gmail address...what do you think?

Customer:

i don't think i've waited 5 days since associating my email with his account - to try for the secret question again

Mike the MacMedic :

Did your son ever access his email from another computer in the house?

Customer:

no

Customer:

just via his ipad

Customer:

and his phone

Customer:

all was fine until we hard reset the phone and couldn't remember the password XXXXX it is hidden on the ipad

Mike the MacMedic :

Isn’t the phone backed up on another computer? What computer is it synced with?

Customer:

it is not synched with a computer

Customer:

if you mean through verizon - i have never attempted to find that or set up an account for him on verzon

Customer:

even so his password XXXXX be there would it?

Customer:

i wish they had a call in number, that would really help

Customer:

i have to step away for about 45 minutes, will check back

Mike the MacMedic :

Sorry I guess I assumed it was in iPhone.

Mike the MacMedic :

OK

Customer:

ok, i have to leave the house - will keep checking my email. it occurred to me a few minutes ago that maybe our synching his Ipad with my mac book pro would have stored the password XXXXX my mac book pro keychain?

Customer:

think?

Mike the MacMedic :

Possibly, worth a try check Keychain Access in Utilities folder

Customer:

no luck - still trying to find phone contact for google

Mike the MacMedic :

You can only use phone support if you are a Google Premier customer. You will have to email them. Contact Google with as many details that allow them to identify you as the account holder as possible.

Mike, Mac Medic