Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Greetings, When I first boot up, many times (not every time)

Customer Question
Greetings, When I first boot...
Greetings,
When I first boot up, many times (not every time) my Dual 2.3 Ghz Power PC G5 gives me an alert that the internal clock is not set correctly. Usually I go to the apple menu/System prefs/date & time and it resets automatically but only after I follow that procedure. Why doesn't my mac reset date/time without my assistance.........I am running into an Airport Extreme.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
7/31/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Becuase, either your PRAM battery is died or you only need to reset the PRAM. If the PRAM battery is died, then you have to replace it.

So first, we can try to reset the PRAM and NVRAM and see if that helps or not..

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Let me know if that works or not..

Best Regards,
Ok Ashik, Shut Down.....held down CONTROL+OPTION+P+R and the unit tried to restart about 5 times in a row without getting aprox 25 seconds between startup tones.....so I released all of the keys and it started up with the clock automatically set properly. Is there any way that I can determine the battery life of the PRAM & NVRAM?
No easy way to determine the battery life, but there are many other ways. For eg: Date and Time Problem, No Video, Not strating up etc are because of PRAM battery. If your Mac acting weird, first thing you have to do is PRAM reset.
Ashik, Mac Technician
Greetings again Ashik, I must need some new batteries because I have lived with the same issue since July, 10. Help me work my way through the Apple maze to get the right batteries for this same computer. Thanx
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 6 years ago
Could you please give me the Serial number of your Mac ?
G851447DRU3
You can find the PRAM batteries in here : http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/batteries/PRAM/

Best Regards,
Thank you Ashik. Have a good day.
No Problem...Good day to you too !
Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician