Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How can I print borderless 4 X 6 photos using iPhoto 09

How can I print borderless...
How can I print borderless 4" X 6" photos using iPhoto '09 version 8.1.2 (424) with an HP Photosmart 7350 printer? (I was able to print borderless photos previously using this same printer with my old Gateway PC and Photo Wizard.)
7/22/2010
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
I want to print BORDERLESS 4" X 6" photos using iPhoto '09 version 8.1.2 (424) with my iMac OSX 10.6.4 on my HP Photosmart 7350 printer. I used this same printer with my old Gateway PC and was able to print borderless photos with it using the Photo Wizard program. How can I now print borderless photos using iPhoto? I have tried customizing the settings to make the photos 4" X 6". The photo looks like it will be borderless on the Preview, but when I print the photo it has a white border all around it.
this should do it. report back here if not... in iPhoto select the photo (s) you want to print and click print, select the printer, paper size (4z6) and print size (borderless) - click print and near the bottom of the resulting print window there is a pull down window with printer specific options - select the paper source there - if this menu is not showing click on the little gray triangle just to the right of the printer name to expand the window to show all options
I could not do it. I selected 4 X 6 for the paper size. There was no "borderless" option for the print size so I selected "custom" and put in 4X 6. When I clicked "print" there was no option for paper source. When I clicked the triangle next to the printer name there was no option for paper source either. I just tried one more time to print a photo and it came out with the same white border.
Continued to investigate. I have a few how to's and I'm talking to a guy in a forum. One person suggested this how to...let me know if this works...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bpm25083&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=181&product=72886
I had found this and tried to do it, but iPhoto '09 does not have the options that he is talking about. There is no "constrain menu." There is no "Page Setup" option on the File Menu. There is no "style menu." This article must refer to a different version on iPhoto.
K, i'll have to report back after I hear from my photo guy....hopefully its possible with this older printer and newer software.
If this older printer could print borderless photos with my old computer shouldn't it be able to do the same thing with my new computer?
no. that is not a correct assumption. the software on the older computer and the new computer is different. it's kinda like a car. imagine putting gear from a car from 10 years ago into a car today...all the parts just won't work right.
I did download the latest version of updates for the HP Photosmart 7350 printer from the HP site hoping that would help. I hate to go out and buy a new printer when this one works.
I totally understand where you are coming from....give me the night to scope it out...waitin to hear back from one of my printer guys...i hate when stupid stuff like this happens...you upgrade and lose features...i'll update early tomorrow or later tonight.
Thank you, Robert. I appreciate your persistence! I will certainly pay the fee whether or not you find the answer considering how much time you have spent on this effort.

Bonnie
Thanks very kind of you. So here was what I was able to wrestle down. No reports of any users getting this to work in iPhoto, it appears this isn't available in iPhoto with this printer anymore, which is frustrating to say the least. I got recommendations to use HP Photosmart Essentials which should have been in the software with the HP....so sorry there's not a more elegant solution!
What is HP Photosmart Essentials? Is it something that can be added to my printer or is it a different printer? If I were to buy a new printer is there one that could print borderless photos with my version of iPhoto or is it just not possible to print borderless photos with this version of iPhoto?
It's possible, just not with that printer. HP Photosmart Essentials is software from HP. You can look here...it's a whole separate program than iPhoto so I'm not positive how to use it. http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/index.html

As for a suitable printer I've heard good things about the Canon Pixma series and the Epson Stylus NX420
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Thanks, Robert. I guess you've done all that you can do for me. I just downloaded the HP Essentials thing for Macs, but it didn't make any difference. I will have to decide whether or not I want to invest in a new printer. In any case, I will accept your answer so that you can get paid.
Hi Robert. I just want to let you know that I purchased a Canon PIXMA MP 640 this morning. It is all hooked up and I can once again print borderless 4 X 6 photos with ease. The problem must have been that my old HP Photosmart printer just wasn't compatible with my new iMac. So, I guess you did answer my question even though I had to spend $129 for a new printer to solve my problem!
robgranholm
robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius