Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

Is there any way to recover deleted Facebook email and chats

How can I recover deleted Facebook email and chats from my Mac hard drive?
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately the email and chats from Facebook are only stored in Facebook, not in your computer.

You can go to Facebook, then click "Messages", then click "Sent" and you can see the old sent messaged. But the messages you already deleted are not recoverable :-(

That's why Facebook asks twice when you try to remove an email.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I already know that's incorrect. There is internet evidence recovery software out there for Windows computers that captures old Facebook chat messages and email, but haven't been able to find such software for a Mac. There's got to be similar software for a Mac since the Windows software was developed 2 years ago.

The only possibility to do that, it is if you received the emails and chat to your email address using an application like Mac Mail or similar.

Is that your case ? Did you use to receive the emails and chats from Facebook to your email account checked from Mac Mail ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No. My wife had an online affair and I'm trying to recover the things that were said between the 2 on Facebook. Her Facebook account has been permanently deleted, but like I said, I know there's software to recover Facebook chats and emails from a PC's hard drive (http://www.jadsoftware.com/go/?page_id=141). So I know it's possible to find the information, I just need the software that is compatible with a Mac.

Well, I am not sure that software will work. But you can try.

You can remove the hard drive of your Mac, then connecting it to a PC internally, or externally using a Hard Drive to USB adapter.

Then run Internet Evidence Finder from the PC and check the Mac hard drive.

They say it work. See below:
Do you have any future plans for IEF to be a cross-platform application (i.e. Linux, Mac)?

I don’t have any plans for a cross platform application at this time. However, IEF can search drives formatted in Linux and Mac systems if they are mounted on or directly connected to a Windows system. The drive will appear as a PhysicalDrive(#) without a drive letter and IEF can search that raw drive (point it to the PhysicalDrive# XXXXX appears).

I don't know any software that do the same for Mac, so I will opt out to see if another expert has the solution.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm impressed that you took some time to research what I sent you. I have a 4 year old iMac and have no idea how to remove the hard drive. Is it easy to do? I'm assuming I have to purchase a hard drive to USB adapter?

I am not sure if the application will work. If the "footprints" were deleted (usually if the user deletes the cache, history, etc) it will be dificult to recover the chats and messages. However we can try. I hope it works

Do you have the white iMac ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I have the white iMac. At the time my wife was chatting on Facebook with this guy (January/February), I had Firefox set to automatically clear all history, caches, etc. Are you saying that even with this software I won't be able to recover any of those chats because the history, etc. was deleted?

It can be done, but the software has to be very powerful and perform low level searches. I have never tried that software.

In order to remove the hard drive, please follow the steps below:

For the 17-inch iMac ---> http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmanuals.info.apple.com%2Fen_US%2Fimacg5_HD17_DIY_EDU.pdf&answerid=16777216&src=support_site.kbase.search

For the 20-inch iMac ---> http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmanuals.info.apple.com%2Fen_US%2Fimacg5_20inch_HardDrive.pdf&answerid=16777217&src=support_site.kbase.search

The hard drive to USB adapter ---> http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279315933&sr=8-2

Note you don't have to press Accept if you are not satisfied with my work.

If you instead are satisfied with my answers and you feel I deserve a positive feedback, please click the Accept button.

Of course, don't hesitate to ask another question or let me know if you have any comments.

Thank you

John Cappucci