Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I installed a trial version of adobe acrobate 9 on my Mac about

10 days ago. I...
I installed a trial version of adobe acrobate 9 on my Mac about 10 days ago. I have sent for the Final version. However when I installed the trial version, I checked that I wanted it to be the version for many of my Mac functions. This morning my Mac won't search anything. How do I uninstall the Adobe trial version. Thanks Larry [email protected]
7/6/2010
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

You can uninstall Acrobat with a special application called CleanApp. This application will remove all the related files of Acrobat from root folder which you cannot remove easily.

Download CleanApp : http://www.syniumsoftware.com/cleanapp/

(You can a see tutorial video in their website, and no need to buy this application, Just use the trial to uninstall Acrobat)

Let me know if that works or not...

Best Regards,
Can I do what you said before I accept answer? I want to make sure it works.
Yes, try that before Accepting my answer. And only accept after we solved the problem.

(Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection)
Thanks for the bookmark idea. I can thus get back to you. Ok, I installed Clean App in my applications folder. Now what do I do? I can't get to my applications folder, since I usually use spotlight to do so. Spotlight is not working, because Adobe has taken hold of it, and the trial version is now not working so well. (I think this is the problem. I should have never chosen the option to let it handle my mac functions. I just wanted it for the power point slides and other selected functions.)
You can goto Appliactions folder by opening your hard disk Macintosh HD (Mac HD). You can see Applications folder inside your hard disk. Let me know..
OK. I did all that. Adobe is no longer visable anywhere. Clean App is working. However spotlight still won't work. Do I have to get the Mac OS reinstalled?
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")
Mac OSX
Version 10.5.8
Open System Preferences from Apple menu or from the dock. Then Click on Spotlight. In Spotlight, click on the Privacy Tab and then on the “+” (plus) button and add your hard disk, Macintosh HD. Wait a few minutes (5-10) and select the volume again on the Privacy Tab and click on the “-” minus button to remove it again. This will refresh and reindex your spotlight. It'll take awhile to refresh and reindex spotlight. Let me know if that works or not..
I am waiting for the computer to do its thing. I think I understand. First the HD is taken off from spotlight. It is like the entire HD has been removed from its search. Then the HD is added back on again. Now the computer has to look into the HD to "re-program itself" to look into the HD again. Smart.

Can I use this privacy function to sequester files that no one can see. For instance, from some prying eye on the internet?

Thanks again for the "bookmark" tip. It allows me to return to you.

Still waiting. Will get back to you in a few minutes.
Spotlight Privacy can be used if you don't want Spotlight to search specific places like External hard disk, CDs etc. For eg: If you have connected a external hard drive and if you are trying to search something from only internal hard drive, you can add the external drive in Privacy list. So your Mac won't search anything from external drive thus it'll increase the search speed of internal drive. Also, make sure you did remove the Macintosh HD from Privacy list. Hope this helps...
Spotlight in indexing my computer. It is telling me to wait a bit. I think it will work.

Back to you soon.

My question is, can I sequester a certain folder from search in the privacy section. This would be really cool, and would require the operator at the actual computer to open the file. I am just trying to keep my computer from prying internet eyes, not from my house. My wife is safe.
I hope it'll work.

There are some softwares to encrypt or 'password XXXXX' your files. Once you encrypt it, only you can decrypt it. So first take a look at Mac's File Vault : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8727.html

See these applications also, choose the best one you want..

http://www.nchsoftware.com/encrypt/index.html
http://www.truecrypt.org/
http://www.limiter-inc.com/cryptor.html

Small Advice : Before using File Vault, i'd strongly recommend you to copy all your important files to an external hard drive, cd or to flash drive and keep it safe. If you forget the master password XXXXX file vault, you'll lost your files forever.

Best Regards,
Hooray, it worked!

You are one smart dude.

I think this question/site is incredible. What specific address or site do I give to my friends if they need an answer like I needed. I would have never figured it out myself.

Also, I am having the Adobe Acrobat 9 sent to me. I want to install it so I can read all the power point slides that have been given to me. Some of them are in the PC format, and are unreadable on the MAC. If I do install the Adobe Acrobat, can I just have it work for looking at the Point Slides. Can I have it selectively search certain folders?

Get back to me and I will "accept answer" and sign off. Thanks
Ashlik, still waiting on last question, then I am done
Glad that worked..You can give this address www.justanswer.com to your friends. We have thousands of good experts in here including doctors, engineers, mechanics, computer experts, vet etc. If you want to contact me directly in JustAnswer next time, you can use this link www.ashik.me and it'll take you to my profile page. In there, you can ask me questions directly.

Okay...If you just want to view Power Point slides, i think Acorbat will not work. Because Acrobat is for PDF works. So to read PPT you have to install Office for Mac or other Office applications like Open Office or Neo Office.

Office for Mac is from Microsoft and its not free, it'll cost $150 for Home/Student Edition and $250 for Business Edition. But Open Office and NeoOffice are free and it supports all Office for Mac files. In my opinion, you can use Open Office or NeoOffice because you don't need to spend $$$ just read ppt files.

Download Open Office : http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html
Or Download NeoOffice : http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/maindownload.php#download

BTW, Open Office and NeoOffice can also read all Word Documents and Excel Preadsheets as well.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician