Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a MacBook from 2008, and I just increased my RAM to

Customer Question
4 GB. My hardware...
I have a MacBook from 2008, and I just increased my RAM to 4 GB. My hardware overview is:

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f0

I am trying to use a Parallels program to run Autodesk REVIT. When I start the Windows 7 program, I get this message:

"The 3D acceleration support is enabled for this virtual machine, but the amount of video memory allocated to it is lower than 256 MB. You are highly recommended to increase the amount of video memory for optimal 3D performance."

Is there any way to increase my video memory? My real desire is to get my MacBook to run the Autodesk REVIT program. Can you help me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
7/4/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Jono, Apple Product Professional replied 7 years ago
Jono
Jono, Apple Product Professional
Hello!

Video memory could be separate from RAM depending on how Parallels is allocating it. There is a chance your being limited by the graphics card on the laptop. However, you can try increasing your allocated memory in the parallels preferences. However, this is only an allocation of RAM and not video memory. Video cards and video memory cannot be changed on the MacBook and you may require a more powerful graphics card such as that found in a MacBook Pro.

All the best!
Jono
Jono, Apple Product Professional
How do I increase my allocated memory in the parallels preferences?
Hi there!

In the parallels program, you should have what is known as a virtual machine which is the virtual hard drive where your windows software is stored and from which you boot into windows. Parallels should offer an options section and preferences section for this virtual machine which will allow you to allocate RAM. However, this is not video memory just regular RAM.

A copy of the user guide for the latest version of Parallels which shows how to do this can be found here:

http://www.parallels.com/files/upload/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf
Jono
Jono
Jono, Apple Product Professional