loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

went out yesterday and left the mac open and on, plugged in.

went out yesterday and left the mac open and on, plugged in. Got home and it was unresponsive. black screen. hubby was able to shut it down but now when it starts up I get the lit screen then apple logo then timer working then straight back to black screen. please tell me the cat stepped on a key and I just need to undo it (can u tell what a techie I am? NOT!)
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John.

If you will, please follow the steps below to reset the PRAM data on your motherboard. For your information, this will NOT affect any existing data on your Mac. Here are the instructions:

Resetting PRAM & NVRAM
-----------------------------------

1) Shut down the computer (Click Apple icon, choose Shutdown)

2) Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You
will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4

3) Turn on the computer

4) Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key
combination before the gray screen appears

5) Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound
for the second time - HINT: You MUST hear the second chime before you continue or the PRAM data was never flushed which is necessary.

6) Release the keys

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how else can I shut down? screen black so when i press the apple icon nothing but blackness
If you press and hold the power button on your Mac for approximately 15 seconds, your Mac should force power off. Then, as you press the power button to turn it back on, you can then press the command+option+p+r keys and wait for the second chime.

Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Darn, still gone back to black.............did as u said
Ok, what kind of Mac is this and would you happen to have the serial number so I can verify what all it came with from the factory, creation date and other helpful info?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
John I am gonna bail on you and take the mac to the shop where I bought it. My hubby is not around right now and this I can see is gonna get more technical than I can handle. thanks for your time and I am gonna accept the answer.
I totally don't mind waiting for you. This is not a timed race, in my opinion, and I'd really prefer to stick with this and help you a bit further if you don't mind. It's obviously your choice, but we might be able to save you a few dollars by taking it into the service center. It's up to you.

Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know where my husband put the additional stuff that came with the mac. I bought it for him late 2007 and the model number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Found a mac package with some dics etc. Serial no is 6N7250N5YF1A

17 inch Macbook Pro

Ok, good. Sounds like we're going to be able to take the battery out of the bottom of the laptop. It should just be a latch that you slide sideways to allow the battery to come out. Unfortunately, that serial number didn't match up to anything. Are we sure of those characters? In any event, depending on which one you have, you could actually safely try both of these sets of instructions and it wouldn't hurt anything.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
  4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
  5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
  3. Wait 5 seconds.
  4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.
Try this out and let me know the results when convenient.

Do NOT click Accept please.

Regards,

Edited by loadedmind on 7/1/2010 at 9:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi John, Just got my husband to try these but unfortunately still no luck. Found the bill with the serial no. W872574AX94. My husband says he was doing some research on this problem on the various blogs and he says it seems like a very common problem among Macbook Pro owners. He came accross something about faulty NVIDIA video cards requiring a major re-fit. Is this possible and is it a big repair?
Hi am good evening. I'm real sorry to hear none of my solutions resolved your issue. The problem you're experiencing can be attributed to anything from a bad logic board, to faulty video card, to leaky capacitor to bad RAM. From here, I'd recommend you take the laptop to an authorized Apple service center where they have equipment that allows them to further diagnose hardware components.

Best of luck,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for ur efforts John. Appreciate it.