Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

After attaching the ipod to the computer, the screen displayed

Customer Question
"do not disconnect". And...
After attaching the ipod to the computer, the screen displayed "do not disconnect". And that's where it sits. It did not show up as a device, nothing showed up in itunes, the computer slowed up to the point I wondered if it was still running. Windows task manager was almost unresponsive. I tried to restart the system, that didn't work and it was necessary to use the reset button to come back up. Now what?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
7/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mac Tech, Apple Specialist replied 7 years ago
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).

Detach the iPod. Make sure you have the latest Ver of Itunes and try again after you reboot your Windows machine.
I've already done that. I'm at the latest version of itunes, disconnected and reconnected the ipod, after rebooting the computer and nothing. This didn't help.
Is this the original system that you setup your iPod on?

Have you preformed a hard reset on the iPod?
How do you perform a hard reset in the iPod? Havn't done that don't know how.
Which model do you have?

Also, does the iPod function normally otherwise?
I have the 30gb don't know if there is a model no. It functioned normally until I connected to a USB port on the computer. This is the first connection in a while, I think there has been several upgrades in iTunes since the last time I connected it. It's not functioning now, just sitting on the USB cable with screen showing do not disconnect.
You need to tell me which model iPod you have.

Also, please accept. :)
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
I don't know what the model is. How do I find that out? I can give you a serial number if that is helpful. I will accept the charge when you give me something that will help.
I don't know what the model is. How do I find that out? I can give you a serial number if that is helpful. I will accept the charge when you give me something that will help. OK I found the model no it's A1136 EmC 2065. I needed a magnifying glass to read the fine print.
Mac Support Specialist: Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 years ago
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello I am one of the other experts here at Just Answer.com

You can check your model based on this link here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

I do have a couple of question

1) I see you are using windows 7 are you using windows 7 64bit or windows 7 32 bit?

2) What version of itunes are you using currently? Is it the latest?

Thanks these will help me solve the issues.

Let me bring you up to date. I found the Model No. I also found on the internet how to reset the iPod. I have reset the iPod, reconnected it to the computer and iTunes is now doing something that I believe is reloading the software. I don't remember exactly what the message box said but I clicked ok. The iPod screen is flashing the red circle, and iTunes shows the iPod as an attached device. There is a icon showing something is going on. If this comes to a successful conclusion I don't think anything more is necessary. Oh yes this is Windows 7 64 bit. Itunes is 9.2.061.
Ok Let me know if it doesn't work because there have been a few issues with latest itunes and if it doesn't sync I can walk you through fixing it.
It looks like everything completed successfully. All the music and photographs have been restored.

Ok Sounds good. Glad to hear that its working

Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist