Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Everything I scan is HUGE. Too large to send via email. Currently

Customer Question
Everything I scan is HUGE...
Everything I scan is HUGE. Too large to send via email. Currently I have a single page scanned and ist 44.4 MB and the page size is 23.6 x 29.94. How do I get them to scan smaller?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
7/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mac Tech, Apple Specialist replied 7 years ago
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Adjust your scan size down before scanning. Then when you save, it may also give you a quality option. The lower quality the smaller the file.
Also, what is your scanner make and model?
I don't think that is the problem because I have a new printer/scanner and its the same problem I had before.

The printer/scanner is: HP Officejet 6500 Wireless
Tell me step by step what you are doing to scan this document please.
I put the original document into the auto feeder in the scanner, choose "scan to pdf" file and hit the scan button. Then wait.
Ok, did you install the HP software for this unit? And what Mac OS are mac are you using?
Yes, I did install the software for the Mac computer successfully.
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Ok, go into the HP software and locate the resolutions settings. They need to be reduced and then your file will be smaller after scanning.
Do you know what they need to be reduced to? Currently they are set at: Photos - 200 and Black and white - 300.
Try 100 for each.
It looks as if I need to adjust the resolution everytime I scan. Is there a way to make it a default?
I'm looking that up right now.
Ok, I changed the resolution to 75.. it was reduced to 771 KB, but the page size is still 22.5 x 29.22... its still huge at 100%.
Change scan settings
To change scan settings
• Windows: Open the HP Solution Center, select Settings, select Scan Settings and
Preferences, then select from the available options and make your selections.
• HP Device Manager (Mac OS X): Launch HP Device Manager, click Information
and Settings, and then select Scan Preferences from the drop-down list.
ok, reset the resolution from th device manager. How do I change the page size?
HP Device Manager (Mac OS X): Launch HP Device Manager, click Information
Well, nothing is changing the page size and I can't get a single page less than 771 KB. What is the normal size of a single text page scan document to adobe?
I have given you all the documentation that is available on the HP website. Do you have logmein?
no logmein
Ok, please detail to me your complete scan procedure step by step.
Well, it just worked. I finally got a scan that is 272 KB and 11.25 x 15.29... I just reduced all resolutions to 100 on all options (JPEG, OCR, etc) Its fuzzy now, but at least its smaller.

Scan Procedure:
Put the document on the glass
Push Scan button
Asks for computer - I push "ok"
I choose "PDF to ADOBE READER"
"ok"
and it scans
what do you mean by fuzzy?

-Please accept so I will get paid for this assistance today.
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist