Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My r1800 has given me GREAT results for over a year. But heres…

Customer Question
My r1800 has given me...
My r1800 has given me GREAT results for over a year. But here's the problem:
I can print normally out of Adobe InDesign. But in two other programs (Quickbooks, and the Epson Print test page) I hear the printer turn on, and after a moment the top red light starts blinking and I get the message, "Media out or not installed properly."
Paper is OK, restart the printer, and I can still print out of InDesign,
Any Ideas? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in Wisconsin.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
From your description it sounds like QuickBooks cannot find the driver, nor can the Epson print test page.
I would recommend removing and then adding the printer back into the print system.
I can help you with that I need to know what version of Mac OS X. you have on your machine.
I apologize for not getting to you sooner but we had some site issues and while I can see your question I could not respond.

I might agree, except that the Epson program won't print its own test page.
Generally though removing and re-adding can solve many problems.
However, I suggest repairing the permissions as the beginning.
This PDF files.me.com/pndaldermanprod/birnwx will explain how.
Do that and let me know what happens.
how and what am I to repair?
Did you click on the link I included after the PDF?
YES I just now clicked on your installation instruction PDF.
I am running mac 10.5.8
My printer software Epson disk is 10.2.4 - 10.3x
It will take some time for it to run in 10.5.8.
Let me know when it finishes and please try a test print.
OK... I reloaded the Epson r1800 program. No changes!!! I still can print out of Adobe Indesign.
But I still can't print a test page our of Epson. One thing is different after reinstalling from disc 10.3, when I ask for test page, the system used to go "click" and the red light would start blinking.
Now you ask for a test print and nothing happens. No red light blinking.
My install disk is labeled 10.3. Should I find an up-grade? Indesign still works so it isn't a cabeling problem.
You have not told me what version of MacOS X you are using.
You must not have gotten my earlier message shown above! apple
Mac 10.5.8
You mentioned 10.3 so went back and looked but I did not see it but I see it now, my mistake.
You cannot use anything from 10.3 unless we are not talking about the same 10.3.
You will probably have to select the Macintosh operating system and is the first one in the list.
Try that and let me know.
I did what you suggest. I down loaded the program again, nothing has changed. I can't print a test page.
I can't print of of Quickbooks, I can print out of Indesign. I am giving up for now. It's my 71st birthday today and I have to get ready to go to the theater. I have a friend who is better at solving these problems who I will enlist tomorrow. You can leave my "case" open for the time being. That is if you can.
Don't charge my account until we find an answer. Thank You.
I will certainly not charge you, it is you who authorizes that not me.
I also do not like to accept any payment without full service and a resolution to the problem.
Have a good time at the theater, and happy birthday. I wish you many more.
Please keep me posted.
I have run out of things to do, with my limited mind. I do have a friend who will probably stop by tomorrow.We will consult and I'll get back to you. On Friday if you are on line.
I should be here. There are some possibilities, Adobe may have installed something somewhere it has no business being (Adobe does not understand the Mac OS) and is causing issues with the printer.
I am sorry, I sent you the wrong PDF, I meant to send how to reset the print system, did you do an OS install?
Here is the correct PDF for the reset.
I did all you suggested. I reset the system, which looked for drivers. It was a routine I had not used before.
I was really hopeful. But Alas! No change! I'll have to wait until tomorrow when a competent friend will be here to look over our correspondence. I'll be back to you, if you are still available. Ted
Okay Ted.
Hi Dan, I'm here with Ted now. I can print in other apps, but not QuickBooks. I deleted the printer and re-installed. I deleted his copy of QB and re-installed fresh. His printer is both FireWire and USB, I've tried both connections. Repaired permissions, dumped the prefs for QB. I see it as a QB problem, not printer. The only thing I think I have not tried is hooking another printer up to his eMac (10.5.8), I can't do that until next week. I have also not tried printing from QB on a different Mac, also a job for next week.

Any thoughts?????

Phil
You are correct in that it is a fault of QuickBooks, trying a different printer will yield the same result.
I don't use QuickBooks and have nothing in experience to help there, however, this is the official QB support for one thing that may be wrong.

You may find some tips there.