Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

i have 10.5.8 and in NETWORK it does not have a menu item across…

Customer Question
i have 10.5.8 and in...
i have 10.5.8 and in NETWORK it does not have a menu item across the top for Airport. Yikes. When Airport Utility Scans, it finds nothing. I can't create an Airport network because the choice of Airport is grey, not black like ethernet or bluetooth. help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/30/2010
Mac Support Specialist: loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John.

To start, if you would, click the Apple icon at the top left corner of your screen, then choose About This Mac. From the new window that appears, click on the numbers to the right of Version until your serial number is XXXXX Please provide the serial number of your Mac so that I know what it came from the factory with.

Thanks and regards,
VERSION 10.5.8
SERIAL G880164FXYK
Ok, thanks for the information. Looks like you have a Mac Pro. Is that correct? I don't believe they shipped with airport cards unless you specifically requested one during the customize part of your order with Apple. To verify whether your Mac Pro has one, let's go back into About This Mac from your Apple Menu. Next, click More Info at the bottom and System Profiler should launch.

On the left pane in System Profiler, you have the hardware devices. As you click on them, details of that device are displayed in the right pane/section. On the left, locate Network and click the arrow to the left of it so that the arrow reveals the contents of Network beneath. See if you have something called "Airport" under Network. If you do, click on it and copy/paste what you see in the right pane in your reply here please. If you do not have Airport, this means your Mac is not equipped with the Airport wireless card. The good news is, if this is the case, it wouldn't be tough to get one for your Mac Pro and they're not all that expensive.

Let me know what you find when it's convenient.

Regards,
It doesn't have AIRPORT under network, that's the point. sit on the floor mac. not a laptop
Ok, so if you want your Mac Pro to join a wireless network, you will need to purchase an Airport card and install it. Do you need help finding one?