Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a mac 10.6.4 and I am having problems with my iphoto…

Customer Question
I have a mac 10.6.4...
I have a mac 10.6.4 and I am having problems with my iphoto opening. Last night i was trying to make a slide show and it froze, so I shut it down, and restarted my computer. Now every time I try to open iphoto it says "Click reopen to open the application again. Click report to see more detailed information and send a report to apple" Please help I need Iphoto ASAP

after clicking report this is what it says

Process: iPhoto [403]
Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto
Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto
Version: 8.1.2 (8.1.2)
Build Info: iPhotoProject-4240000~8
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [105]

Date/Time: 2010-06-29 09:15:24.607 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 389144 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 26
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 88347 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 25
Anonymous UUID: 4ECEEE30-87E9-41FF-86A0-4ACFB5B14190

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000005c
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Customer:

hello

Daniel :

The first thing you want to do is repair the permissions.
This PDF explains how.
Do that and then try again. This may not do the whole thing in that I mean it may not fix it yet.
But it will do a lot of good, let me know the results because this is simply the first step.

Customer:

I already tried that

Customer:

repairing the disk permissions

Customer:

It said it fixed alot

Customer:

I already tried that, sorry i didnt mention that earlier, I also tried loging on to another account and when i did that iphoto worked

Customer:

It does work on another account on my mac, and I have not timed machine for a few weeks, but i have added alot of photo's since.

Daniel :

In that case, I suggest going to your home folder/Library/Preferences and dragging this file 'com.apple.iPhoto.plist' to your desktop.
Now try to open your iPhoto.

Customer:

I tried it didnt work, do i need to delete in preferences after dragging it on to the desk top

Customer:

It never opens so it was closed, it closes it self everytime i try to open it

Daniel :

When you drag it to the desktop it should disappear from your preferences folder. If it does not then something else is wrong. Do you have your installation disks? It may need a new operating system installation.

Customer:

yes i have them

Customer:

so should i reinstall

Daniel :

Before you do that, check for software updates from the Apple menu.

Customer:

checking, if no updates what should i do next

Daniel :

We will reinstall iPhoto.

Customer:

all software is upto date

Customer:

so how do we reinstall iphoto

Daniel :

And that's good, and bad. Because another account works with iPhoto and yours does not that means that your account has a problem.

You can try creating a new account with your password XXXXX user name, sometimes it will let you do that and sometimes it won't.

Daniel :

You do have a different account on this machine, correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I want all of the folders and pictures that i made in my iphoto

Customer:

so how do i reinstall?

Daniel :

On the second account is your iPhoto library impact the way you want it? I am trying to find a way to save your iPhoto library.

Daniel :

When you click on the pictures folder there should be a folder called iPhoto library. If you right-click or control click on that iPhoto library and select show package contents. It will show you your iPhoto library. Drag that folder from that position onto just the hard drive itself or the desktop either way.

Customer:

what folder, all of them, because there are alot

Daniel :

Now try to launch iPhoto, that looks like this, if it runs.

Full Size Image

If you get one like that then we will create new and import from your iPhoto library that is now on your desktop.

Customer:

I already knew about this, this only imports my photo's not my folders

Daniel :

If you are talking about your albums and other specialized content I think you're going to have a problem.

The issue is with your iPhoto library and as such is beyond my ability to resolve.

This does keep all of your photos without loss, it does however, require that you reorganize them.

It does indeed sound like iPhoto is now functioning and that you can import all of your images without problem, when you do this I suggest making a backup and then try to import albums by dragging and dropping. It is quite possible that you can recover most of it.

You will however, find the problem that way and it will probably lock things up, now however you have identified the culprit.

Daniel :

Another thing you might want to try, is since iPhoto now opens I would drag the iPhoto library back into the pictures folder and try again. Make sure you quit iPhoto before you do.

Customer:

it is importing the pics now, 17,000 so it will take a few minutes, i will let you know when it is done

Daniel :

That is a lot of pictures.

Customer:

yes you can see my concern

Daniel :

Doing what I can.

Customer:

thank you so much

Daniel :

You are welcome.