Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am connected to the internet via a cable modem. Over the…

Customer Question
I am connected to the...
I am connected to the internet via a cable modem. Over the past few days there has been a terrible leakage from my account of almost 3gb per day. My wireless is very well protected so I don't think it is that. Furthermore, I have actually disconnected my wireless, and yet the leakage still persists. Is there any way I can easily monitor the traffic in and out of my account. I am not a technical person, so the software would need to be pretty easy to understand.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/29/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Danh, Systems Administrator replied 8 years ago
Danh
Danh, Systems Administrator
what are you using to determine the 3gb / day usage?
You can see it on the website of the ISP - Bigpond Telstra, the largest in Australia.

You can download surplus meter...it will measure the bandwidth of your network adapter. You can use this to see if you are indeed pushing that much data daily

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20884/surplusmeter

Thanks i have downloaded it. What do I write for connection type - I am using a cable modem, but there doesn't seem to be that option?

Use ethernet / for network adapter.

wont that give me all traffic going to and from my computer, including local?
The choices for connection type are:
PPP Modem
Ethernet Port
Airport
Network card
Adaptor

None of them seem to relate to the cable modem???

You want to capture what's going on at the network adapter level first to make sure it's all coming from there. If you run this for a day and you're not using 3Gb worth of bandwidth, you can tell the cable company their numbers are wrong.

Are we not trying to determine the source of the leak?

sorry, perhaps i dont understand what you mean by network adaptor. i am no a tech guy - a plain mac user!

I want to know what's going in and out of the modem to my ISP. It seems that the advice you gave me will give me what's going in and out of my ethernet on my computer which will give me local traffic. In fact, if you select anything but PPP modem, the sofware warns you of this.

So how do I measure just what's going in and out from my modem to the network?

That's what I should be concerned about, isn't it?

There's no simple way for you to monitor the traffic directly on the cable modem. But you know that the ethernet adapter on your mac captures the traffic that goes between the cable modem and your computer, so that will give you a good indication of the amount of data you're pushing...if the mac is currently the only computer online. If you have other computers connected to the router, you'll need to monitors on those computers to measure how much bandwidth they are using daily.

If you really want to measure just what the cable modem is pushing to see if there is a leak somewhere, I would turn off the router and all computers for one day. Then you know the cable modem is the only thing active. After one day, check the ISP website, and if the numbers are the same, you know it's not any of your computers that's pushing that bandwidth.

Danh
Danh, Systems Administrator
ok, i was just hoping there was an easier way. it will be really hard to shut everything off for a day. will have to wait til weekend

thanks

Shutting off is the surest way to determine where the leak is....and to make sure your ISP isn't ripping you off.