Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

i have just updated my 3Gs to the 4.0 - but it has wiped all…

Customer Question
i have just updated my...
i have just updated my 3Gs to the 4.0 - but it has wiped all my contacts off 600 - when i went back through to "import SIM contacts" only 147 contacts came through - is their any way i can "go back" and unistall this update or anyway i can get my contacts back? please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/29/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Jesse, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Did your contacts sync to any program on your computer (e.g. Address Book, Outlook, Entourage, etc.)?

If not, then you can try restoring to a previous backup. While iTunes is open, and the phone is connected to your computer, right click on the iPhone from the list of devices on the left, and choose the Restore from Backup option. If there's a backup dated before you update, select it.

That should do it. If what I recommended doesn't help, or if you have additional questions, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.
It didn't work... would only restoreto the factory settings - not the last back up date... and i back it up about a month ago :-(
Did the contacts sync to any programs on your computer, like Outlook or Thunderbird?
No I didn't do anything like that. I'm guessing my contacts are lost forever...
Unfortunately, if the backup doesn't contain them, and you don't have them synced to another application, they're gone. In the future, just make sure to sync with some kind of contact management program as a primary backup.