Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My macbook pro recently quit communicating with my modem, and,

Customer Question
now I have no internet...
My macbook pro recently quit communicating with my modem, and, now I have no internet connection. I called my internet service provider, who also supplies the modem, for answers and they suggested that it was a faulty modem. Now I have a new modem and my computer still won't communicate with it. I can't even type in the IP address that my service provider suggested I type in to login. Any idea what could be causing this? I've never had this type of problem with my computer before....There's nothing wrong with the modem because I am now using it on an old pc laptop.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/29/2010
Mac Support Specialist: loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John.

First and foremost, so that I'm not making assumptions on what you're looking at, I need you to please provide the version of OS X you're currently running. To obtain this information, click on the Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to the right of Version is what I'm looking for.

Next, please provide the name of your internet service provider and whether this is a cable modem or DSL internet connection. Do you have a wireless router you're using along with this modem? If so, I need the brand/model of this wireless router device. How many computers are being used at this location and what operating system are they running? When you plug the Ethernet cable into your Mac, then go to System Preferences -> Network, choose Ethernet and choose Configure using DHCP, what IP address is reported after you Apply changes for DHCP?

Answering these questions and providing any other relevant information regarding network connectivity or recent changes that may have been made to your Mac will help me a great deal.

Thanks for addressing all of these questions.

Regards,

I mistakenly called my computer a Macbook pro when it is actually a PowerPC 4 (wishful thinking on my part!). The OS X version running on my machine is 10.5.8.

I currently have internet service with AT&T, and I connect to the internet through a DSL modem. Additionally, I usually connect to the internet through a wireless router (Apple Airport), but, since this problem started to occur, I've only been trying to access the internet through a hardwire connection via ethernet port on my computer. My laptop is the only computer that is being used at this location. When I go to System Preferences and choose Configure Using DHCP, the IP address reported after I apply changes for DHCP is the one that my service provider gave me, 192.168.1.254.

If you will, open a browser (Safari/Firefox) and type the following URL:
http://www.whatismyip.com and provide that address to me in your reply when convenient.

Regards,
The IP address is 192.168.1.254.
Ok, if that is correct, then this is your problem. The IP address you currently have assigned to the Mac is a "private" NAT'ed IP address. NAT - Network Address Translation - geek speak for hiding behind a public address space. Typically, the IP address assigned to the wireless router (Airport) is either 192.168.X.254 or 192.168.X.1. So, the IP you have doesn't make sense where you're getting it from.

If you will, follow the DSL modem to your Mac and tell me any/all network devices that are in between these two devices.

Regards,
There are no devices between the modem and the computer. The modem is hooked directly to the computer via Ethernet.
Ok. Please provide the brand and model of the DSL mode
for me.
Modem is a motorola 2XXX-XX-XXXX. Just want to clarify that I went to whatsmyip.com through another computer. I cannot access any websites on my computer right now.
Ok, I need the information from the effected computer, but if you're unable to connect, the "WhatIsMyIP.com" won't work from that machine, but I do need to know what the IP address is once you've clicked "Configure using DHCP" and Apply. I need to know what address it's being handed. Also, since JustAnswer apparently has a censor/block mechanism, please type the model of your Motorola again and take out the dashes if you would please. I think JustAnswer thinks it's a social security number or something.

Thanks and regards,
I've previosly typed in the IP address AT&T told me to (192.168.1.254) so that comes up when I want to configure using DCHP. However, no IP address just pops up on it's own, i.e, an IP of just zeros comes up without me typing in anything. I had to go to work so I'm currently not at my computer or modem anymore but will get you the modem model number in a few hours. Is the modem model number critical for us to proceed right now? Sorry for the inconvenience but gotta make a living somehow....
I understand your need for the issue to be resolved and I'll do my best to help you, but, without knowing more about what you have, I'd be making assumptions about what we should do next and I don't ever make assumptions unless my hand is forced.

Another possibility is that the DSL modem is "hard-coded" to a MAC address. MAC, in this context, stands for Media Access Control and it's the digits assigned to every network card, wireless or wired. For instance, if you go to Finder->Applications->Utilities and launch Terminal, then type this command followed by return:
ifconfig -a
You will see Hardware Address 00:0E:F0:16:44:5E or something that looks similar to this. Some internet service providers hard-code this MAC address to their network and, therefore, when another host attempts to obtain an IP address from their internet service provider, it fails since the ISP assumed a certain MAC address and that's not what the computer responded with, if this makes sense.

The only way for you to determine this is to contact your ISP and ask them. I won't be able to do this for you because they will ask me for contact details I won't have the answer for, i.e. your home address, telephone number, etc.

What SHOULD happen is, after you've configured your Mac's Ethernet adapter to "Configure using DHCP", you should be able to see an IP address automatically populate which would've come from your ISP. If that's not happening, they may have other steps for you to try that may be specific to their own environment.

If you can provide the model from the Motorola modem, I can look up specs on that modem to help determine whether this might be true, but if you're currently at work and could get that information regarding MAC hard-coding, this would help rule out whether that might be causing your frustrations.

Regards,
This is what comes up when I go to Terminal and type ifconfig -a:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:14:51:2c:65:a4
media: autoselect (none) status: inactive
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback>
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::214:51ff:fe83:849d%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
ether 00:14:51:83:84:9d
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
lladdr 00:14:51:ff:fe:2c:65:a4
media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:14:51:92:c6:e8
media: autoselect status: inactive
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>

Is this what was supposed to happen?

Also, my modem is a Motorola model number 2XXX-XX-XXXX.

Thanks for your help....
I just noticed that when I plug the Ethernet cord to my computer a message automatically pops up: 192.168.1.254 is in use by 00:24:c8:b6:d2:60. Again my modem model number is XXXXX 2210xxx02xxx1022. Plz disregard the x's; it seems to be the only way the number is XXXXX to show up on my post.
Thanks for the model. While I'm researching the manual, would you please contact AT&T and ask them if they hard-code the MAC address assigned to the network card to their router? This would help immensely, knowing whether this is the case. Some ISP's do and others don't.

Also, I'd like to know what lights are lit on the modem while the Mac is connected to it please.

Looking at the manual, it appears that the IP address assigned to the DSL modem is the IP you gave me before - 192 168 1 254. Here's the entry from the manual:

"Q: What is the default IP address of my Motorola Modem? A: The default IP address of the Motorola Modem is 192.168.1.254. You may access the WebUI
configuration pages by typing http://192.168.1.254 URL into your browser."

This means your Mac should be getting a different IP address and, hence the message conflict you received earlier that another computer was using that IP address.

Edited by loadedmind on 7/1/2010 at 6:24 PM EST