Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The volume om my macbook only works when the headphones are…

Customer Question
The volume om my macbook...
The volume om my macbook only works when the headphones are plugged in, what's wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/29/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi ,

This seems to be a problem with digital output on the MBP .

Please can you see a faint red light coming from the audio out port ?
You my need to dim your house room lights to see .
If you can see red then the output is stuck on digital.

To use digital on the MBP you need a adapter to make the port into a toslink connector for optical out.

Turn turn off digital optical out.

Please open Audio midi setup from the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder .
Or type Audio midi , in spot light and hit enter.

The output should be set to 16bit or 24bit audio .

If it is set to encoded output or digital out please change to 16bit or 24bit or built in sound etc.

Encoded output and digital out are for use with optical output and a surround decoder HI-FI amplifier etc .

If you cant switch from Digital to Built in or 16bit 24bit ,then there maybe an issue with the OSX preferences . There have been a small number of cases .

Sound control panel:

Open Apple menu , System preferences , Sound control panel pane , Output tab .
Make sure built-in output is selected or internal speakers etc.
If digital out is selected this is the same as the setting in audio midi setup.
If you change a setting in one control panel it should then reflect that change in the other . .

Please let me know .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/29/2010 at 8:48 AM EST