Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

how do i delete the history on my drop down bar

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/28/2010
Mac Support Specialist: David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, thank you for your question.

So, you've cleared the history in Safari, but the address bar still displays old addresses as you type?

Which version of Safari are you using?

version5.0
Quit and reopen Safari, then go to History->Clear History again, then quit and reopen Safari one more time. Let me know if it still shows old web addresses when you go the address bar.
they are still there
can we talk on phone
i did that and they still remain can we talk on phone?the history is in the drop down box of google
are you still there?
Oh, I was just about to ask "Just to be clear, this is in the address bar, not the Google search box, correct?"

Click on the dropdown arrow on the magnification icon and then click "Clear Recent Searches", this should clear all the things you've typed in the Google search area.

I am unable to call you directly, but hope this has resolved your issue.

Thanks!
This is what you will see when you click on the small down arrow, to the right of the magnifying glass icon:

graphic
Were you able to get your search history to clear?
it didd not fix problem.can we talk on phone?
Clicking "Clear Recent Searches" did not clear previous searches?

Unfortunately, JustAnswer policy does not allow me to call you or email you directly.
its the main google search bar with advancrd search beside it.in safari aoto fill under other forms i get a blank screen with done at the bottomwhereas under adress bk i get a full window
Do you mean it is on the Google search toolbar?
if that is the main and larger of the search bars with advance search on right hand side and has a drop down so that if i put a search word in i get a list of possible sites as soon as i put in the first letter then yes
I'm sorry, I just am not seeing the same thing as you. I will opt out so another Expert can take a stab at it.
ok
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
What I recommend is resetting Safari, by doing this you have many options and it will completely clear and erase history etc.
graphic
then you will see this,
graphic
Check the boxes that you like and then click on reset.
That should do it.
ive done that twice and they are stll there
Okay, do you have an item in your menu bar called Debug?
If so then the fourth item in the drop-down menu is Disabled Back/Forward Cache, at the bottom of the History drop-down menu is an item called Clear History. You can also click on that.
If you are talking about the suggestions that are offered when you start typing in a google search or a URL I think there is a way to turn that off but I have yet to find the keywords.
This particular Utility claims to do exactly what you want.Glims for Safari | www.MacHangout.com
the drop down list does come when i type in a google search or a url.what are the key words?
Now we are on the same page. The link that I sent you Is the only way that I have seen or heard of that will control that. You have to download and install it Glims for Safari | www.MacHangout.com I have given it to you again, give it a try.
Daniel, Mac Genius
im not sure if that worked cos now when i touch the firefox option i get google locked in to the last adress i went to.not a fresh bar
What do you mean by fresh bar? When did you start with Firefox? We were working on the Safari browser.
all the search history has been transfered to the smaller search bar to the left of the screen'firefox has always been the icon i use and that takes me to the google url
I need a screen shot of what you are talking about.
To do that hold the Shift and Command keys down and press the number 4, your Cursor will turn into crosshairs, start at one corner click the mouse button down and drag the crosshairs across what you want to include in the picture.
graphic
I do not know what version of Mac OS X you are using, if you are using 10.4 that screenshot will appear on your desktop as Picture with a number following it. If you have 10.5 or 10.6 then it will be called Screenshot.

Double-click on that picture and it will open probably in Preview.
Save the picture as anything you want to call it as JPG for the format.
The toolbar above your answer box there is a smiley face to the right of bat to icons right next to YouTube is a small looking tree. Click on that and that will open a dialog box that looks like this.
graphic
Click on the button that says browse.
graphic
Click on where it says choose file and navigate to where you'd stored that picture of the screen that you just made. Then click okay and that dialogue box will disappear then click on insert.
Then send it to me.
38 dollars has been withdrawn from my credit card account.if i push accept then another 38 will be withdrawn
38 dollars has been withdrawn from my credit card account.if i push accept then another 38 will be withdrawn.i sorted out the problem but thanks
Your credit card will not be charged twice, what you did was deposit money for future payment.
Unless you click accept I do not get paid from the money on deposit.
You will be getting an email from Just Answer explaining this shortly.
Thank you.