Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac Mini; 2006 routine update with the bouncing globe. Downloaded…

Customer Question
Mac Mini; 2006 routine update...
Mac Mini; 2006 routine update with the bouncing globe. Downloaded as normal received a message safari updat damaged. stopped unexpectedly. Will not boot. Tryed to reload safari but received message my disk was old, newer version exists on the machine. Now it is stuck in the can't load mode... Kinda got a mess. Where do I start to unravel?
Thanx
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/28/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Let me see if I have this straight, you did a software update from Apple using Software Update usually found in the Apple menu in the upper right corner.

Now the machine will not boot? Can you tell me just what it does do?

Does it get to the Apple logo and the spinning gear and just sit there?

Or does the machine actually start up but Safari does not work?

Can you tell me what version of Mac OS X. is on the machine now?

Daniel :

I am here.

Customer:

the computer is at my home. I am at work. What information can I get for you tonight

Daniel :

The version of MacOS X on the Mac mini and is much of the information asked for above as you possibly can in as much detail as possible.

I will be checking in this evening from time to time and will be watching for you.

Customer:

I will get the information and contact again tommorrow morning. Unless we can communicate via phone I cannot send any emails because of the dead machine is all I have to communicate on internet at home.

Customer:

Is there a phone number?

Daniel :

Unfortunately no, there is no phone number. E-mail is not necessary, all you need is this question link URL from your address bar. Copy it down exactly as it appears in your address bar and then type it in to the address bar in Safari at home. That way we can communicate just as we are now.

Customer:

I don't think so. I don't have any address bars. As I mentioned. I tried to reload safari and now all I have is a white screen with the globe showing. I tried to load from the disk and it would not. And then I tried from the net and nothing will happen now. Just the black n white globe.

Daniel :

In that case I recommend an Archive and Install preserving user Data such as photos, music, movies and such.

This PDF (I suggest printing it out where you are so you can use it at home) to accomplish this.

Let me know when you can.

Daniel :

If you have posted something to me I have not received it

Customer:

Ok sorry. The disk #1 is in the machine. Monitor is locked on a white screen with black and white flashing globe. Whats next? I don't understand how to backup a file from this white screen.

Daniel :

I may have left out the first step. Hold the power button down until it shuts off, then press and hold the letter C. and power it back up. As soon as you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear you can let go. Then you can proceed to follow the instructions in the PDF.

Customer:

Ok Daniel I will try this tonight and see what I can do. How will I make backups in Iphoto or is it too late?Thanx for working with me. Mike Tachovka.

Daniel :

Mike,

If you have another Mac then you can start the troublesome one in target mode by restarting and holding down the letter T, this turns it in to an external drive back and then be browsed by another machine to save your data.

You can also try a couple of other things first, what is called a safe boot. I recommend printing this so that you can use it later.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Daniel :

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

Daniel :

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Daniel :

If that doesn't work then you can try this,

1. Reboot/Startup holding your Command-S key down.

2. At the command line type the following and hit 'Return.'

/sbin/fsck -fy (space between the k and the -)

3. If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run fsck again until the drive checks OK.

4. After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' and hit 'Return' again.

Daniel :

You can also try this,

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

Daniel :

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Daniel :

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Daniel :

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Daniel :

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

Daniel :

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

Daniel :

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Daniel :

One of those or all of them may return your machine to operational status.

Please keep me posted.

Customer:

Hello

Daniel :

Hello, I am here.

Customer:

We had a power outage caused by bad weather in the town last night so I was not able to try the suggestions. I will try these tonight (Tuesday June 29th and let you know tommorrow.

Customer:

Thanx again

Daniel :

Just repost to this very same thread and let me know how things are going.

Daniel :

If you have posted something, it did not come through. Please post it again.

Customer:

I did post let me try this again

Customer:

I detected a failure on the 10.5 upgrade when checking for permission. I was attempting first aid. The drive checked out ok. The failure message for the dvd verification was message failure at exist on 10.5 upgrade dvd.

Daniel :

I am not completely understanding this, are you saying that your installation DVD is damaged?

Did your computer shut down because of the power outage?

Can you explain what failure you detected on the 10.5 upgrade?

Customer:

another clue when I tried to reload was no 10.4 was found.

Customer:

Yes the disk #1 is in the machine.

Customer:

If we go back to the original failure it was safari upgrade cannot be completed. Damaged on exit.

Customer:

could it be i made this error when I removed a camera connect via the usb? I got a message at that time indicating i did not properly remove the device.

Daniel :

I've got a good idea, let's start at the beginning.

Would you say download, do you mean that you were attempting to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5?

Customer:

no jus a routine update via the web

Daniel :

So you are using software update?

Daniel :

And the update failed?

Customer:

Yes I was accepting the update and when I rebooted I got the message safari update could not be performed. Safari damaged on exit.

Daniel :

I went back through and reread everything that we said. I think what you will have to do is start with a permissions repair, a restart, and a combination download from the Apple site.

Daniel :

To repair the permissions follow the instructions in this PDF. them when that finishes, let me know.

Customer:

Ok Dan. I appreciate your knowledge and patience.

Customer:

I'll get back with up.

Customer:

Keep smilin!

Daniel :

I will, I await your reply.

Customer:

I just looked at the attachment

Customer:

I checkd the drive its ok.

Customer:

The start up disk is in the machine.

Daniel :

Did you repair the permissions?

Customer:

When I verify permission it fails with the exit error but there is no option to repair permission for failure when checking dvd

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

The checking hard drive action yields a green message Hard drive ok.

Customer:

Im sorry for the confusion.

Customer:

omitting hard drive from discussion.

Customer:

I received the message Safari damaged error at exit when I attempted routine updating from web. Could noy open safri after network download. The dvd was on the shelf in the file cabinet at that time.

Daniel :

The hard drive is what we are working on. The optical drive that has the DVD and it we are not.
I have to ask, are you using a language translator?

Customer:

No I just don't type very well . I understand. Again the hard drive yeilds a message in green Hard drive ok when I use the first aid utility function.

Customer:

I did i Had no errors on verify or first aid

Daniel :

Does the machine boot up to a normal desktop?

Customer:

yes

Daniel :

And the only thing that doesn't work is Safari?

Customer:

That was true untill I tried to reload from the start up disk.

Daniel :

Okay, You are telling me that the machine runs okay except you have no Safari? Or are you telling me that the machine does not run?

Customer:

The machine does not run

Daniel :

Okay, if it is on now hold the power button until it turns off. Then press down the letter C and hold it, then power the machine up. This will cause it to boot to the DVD providing the installation DVD is not damaged.
This PDF explains how to do a complete install with what is called Archive and Install, this puts a brand-new operating system on your computer and also keeps all of your data intact.
You have to read it and understand it before you do it because if you do it wrong you will lose everything that you had on that machine. This includes music, movies, pictures anything of that nature.
Please take the time to understand and if you have any questions that I can help you with please ask, I want this to be a success.

Customer:

I'm at work. The mini is at home.

Customer:

Doesn't it seem odd I got the error damaged at exit message without the disk (failed download fromweb).before before inserting

Daniel :

It makes it much easier with the machine where you are, is there any way that you can made up with a working machine alongside the nonworking?

Daniel :

It is indeed odd, it is however, repairable.

Customer:

Doesn't it seem odd I got the error damaged at exit message without the disk (failed download fromweb). And with the disk in the machine?

Customer:

Thats good news.

Daniel :

We'll get this straightened out. But it would be easier if you had the machine with you.

Customer:

I don't have any option other than talking with you here.

Customer:

Well I could bring it to work but would have no internet access.

Daniel :

Can you bring the Mini in with you to where you are now? Or do you have a friend living nearby that has a computer?
You would not need Internet access, at least until after we get it up and running and then you can take it home and finish the rest.

Customer:

This you may find amazing but... I live in El Paso and work in Juarez Mexico. So I am corresponding with you from Mexico right now so nothing as far as internet will be available.

Customer:

Yes it is as violent as you hear on the news. Its crazy .

Daniel :

That is amazing, and also makes doing this right difficult. Not impossible.
If you bring the Mac mini with you to work you will also need your installation disks.
Everything else I will provide as PDFs or instructions with images.
However, transporting data cross the border may cause you other issues, so if you have a friend that you can have help you with this that has a computer and Internet access you would probably be better off.
I was going to suggest an Apple store but the closest one is in Albuquerque New Mexico.

Customer:

Right difficult I can do... Impossible takes a little longer. I will bring disks and mini in tommorrow and we can try more. Thanx...

Daniel :

You are welcome, I am pretty sure that we can get this fixed.

Customer:

I will be traveling on business until 7/13/10. I will contact you on this thread and hopefully we can pick up where we stopped. Thank You

Customer:

Mike Tachovaka

Daniel :

Ok, Mike sorry I was not available earlier, I will look for you on the 13th.