Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

After closing then reopening a project the mp3 audios that…

Customer Question
After closing then reopening a...
After closing then reopening a project the mp3 audios that I put in places have no apparent audio on them although visually they are there & the same with the music mp3. Visually I can see it but again has no apparent audio. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The video pieces that have audio I can hear. The 1st time I just redid the whole thing. What can I do to restore those mp3 pieces without redoing it all over again?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/28/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi ,

What application are you using ? imovie?

Ok , please make sure your Mac HD and HD where media is stored is awake when you launch your application . Wake up HDDs by opening their Finder windows .

Also if this does not work , try selecting all from the work or clips in the timeline and paste it all or in part to a new project .

Use the edit menu to copy and paste .

Or key stroke Apple C , and Apple V .

This may help the issue .

If it does not can you check the volume for clips is up and note muted .
Check settings for audio ducking are not checked on for any clips affected or near the affected clips .

What application and what version ?

How did you import the audio ? and from where ?

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/28/2010 at 6:01 PM EST
I'm using Imovie '08 7.1.4. The mp3s are in ITunes which is turned on & they play perfectly. The mp3s appear on screen as the green bars. The background music mp3 around the whole video in a purple. Everything played perfectly until I shut down Imovie & rebooted the computer. The green bars & purple area are still there they just don't have any apparent audio in them & the volume has not been turned down. Again the audio that is assocciated with the video clips is still there just not the other audios that I dropped in as mp3.
any chance you can call me & try to talk me through this audio problem? XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Hi , sorry i cant do audio chat or email contact or remote access.

Its company rules.

Imovie 08 did have quite a few bugs that where ironed out in 09 plus updates.

Did you try Making a new project , and copy the whole lot from the project and paste it in to the new one ? Select all , Copy , switch to the other project , Paste .

Are the files in itunes Mp3 format , can you use show in finder to find the files .
Use get info to check the permissions for the files. Select file & press Apple i keystroke .

Expand the info to permissions using the arrows .
You should have permissions to use the files , Admin & your user to read & write in the finder . Click + to add a user . Add your user if required .

-

Another possible solution is to copy the imovie project to the desktop , use duplicate and then drag it to the desktop .

Launch the duplicate project and test..

Also another culprit for no sound is , no space or little left on your Mac HD , please make sure at least 8GB is remaining . Open the finder window for Mac HD , The space available is shown to the lower of the finder window . At least make sure more space is remaining than the file size of the project your working with , as audio and video previews need extra space and cant be built if there is not enough space . .

Please let me know if any of this helps .

Also :
If you export the movie using Share menu , Quicktime movie , is sound on the exported movie as needed / expected?

If yes , please export , and then re-import your clip as needed with sound back in to imovie to continue working , it will be much more easy to reconstruct your movie if all is in place as before , but in one chunk .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/28/2010 at 7:47 PM EST
I selected & copied the project & then pasted into a new project the audio clips were not able to be selected & copied only the video. I have plenty of memory. Something has turned off these audio cuts or has removed the audio but they still show up on the project screen as green bars.
Please can you try the other suggestions , exporting as suggested, and duplicating the project to the finder ..

Are permissions correctly set ?

Thanks .
what are permission settings?
Please watch this video , it explains how to set permissions for a file on OSX.

You just need to check your project and Movies folder or folder containing the project etc has correct permissions so you can read & write.
The name of your user may need to be added to the list , then choose read and write for your user name . Do the same for admin , set to read & write if not set .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8D_C0ywZY&feature=related

I'm not sure this is the fix to your issue , but it is worth checking to eliminate the issue .

Thanks.