Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Hi there, my Apple Cinema Display screen is black but the white…

Customer Question
Hi there, my Apple Cinema...
Hi there, my Apple Cinema Display screen is black but the white light is on. It happened after I'd switched the screen to my G5 server and closed down the server. When I switched the screen back to the Mac Pro, it was black. I've attached a second screen now, which works fine. I've reset the PRAM but that didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/28/2010
Mac Support Specialist: loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm John.

While the Apple Cinema Display is connected to the Mac Pro, unplug the power from the Apple Cinema and wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in and press the space bar once. Did anything happen?

Regards,
Hi John, thanks. Nothing happens when I press the space bar. I do have two screens attached though, directly to the Mac Pro of course. One is working. I've tried System Preferences / Displays / Detect Displays which doesn't do anything either. The second screen is just black but with the white light on. Interestingly, my main screen doesn't have a white light on at all, although that is functioning properly otherwise.
Regards
Phil
Would it be possible for you to obtain the serial number from the effected Apple Cinema for me?
Sure, it's CY6330C9UG1.

It's strange isn't it that the light isn't on on the monitor I'm using, but is on on the blacked out street...
Are they both the same model? Also, did you try using "Gather Displays" after hitting the "Detect Displays" button? I'm guessing you're using these two monitors in tandem?
They're both Apple Cinema Displays but different sizes. There was no joy using just the blacked out one on its own before I attached this second one, and I have tried "Gather Displays" after hitting "Detect Displays" with no success.
Sounds like, at this point, it might be time to get Apple involved. I did check your warranty and it seems it has expired so I don't know what kind of money it would take for the Apple Store to just look at it. They may not charge you anything - not sure. In the event other Experts have something to add, I'm going to Opt Out.

Best of luck,
Hi John, thanks for considering the problem. What's the right thing for me to do here? I feel I should reward you for your time thinking about this, but I guess that cuts out the other guys from getting me to an answer. What's usual?
Cheers
Phil
Well, personally, I'm appreciative of your wanting to do that, but, in my opinion, you'd only be paying me to tell you to take it to a repair center and them pat more on top of that for any repair costs. Alternatively, if another Expert ended up helping you find another way to get the display to work, you'd have to pay them as well. So, if I were in your shoes, I'd sit back and see whether another Expert can help an pay them if they can. I would not click accept if they don't fix your issue. We Experts realize that there are just some customer issues that us Experts cannot fix through Internet correspondence and that's ok.