Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Hello, I notice that youre experienced with the FIOS Port…

Customer Question
Hello, I notice that you're...
Hello, I notice that you're experienced with the FIOS Port 25 blocking issue and was wondering if you could help me out.

I manage a small business (airsoft outlet nw) and can send email just fine from work (Verizon DSL on Port 25) but when i get home (Verizon FIOS) my SMTP does not go out through our works SMTP (smtp.sstmail.com)

i'm using thunderbird 3.0, and hope you can help

thanks

ben
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/28/2010
Mac Support Specialist: James R, Computer Support Geek replied 8 years ago
James R
James R, Computer Support Geek
Hi Ben,

It's possible that for whatever reason, Verizon is blocking the unsecure SMTP port from your home connection. One quick fix may be simply changing to the secure SMTP port which is 465 instead of 25.

Let me know if that doesn't work and/or if you are unsure how to change the port

thanks!
this is what i got changing it to 465:

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.sstmail.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again, or contact the server administrator.
Hi again,

Try one more thing -- according to Verizon FIOS, they have blocked port 25 and suggest using port 587 (not 465 as I mentioned earlier). Can you try that for me and let me know?

thanks!

(source: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/general+support/top+questions/questionsone/124274.htm )
i've tried ports 587 and 2525 as per suggested by other sources but still getting the same response
Hi there,

I was sent a message from a fellow expert who has dealt with a situation very similar to yours (port 25 / smtp having issues with home connections on Verizon FIOS using a mac) and it turned out there is something on Verizon's side that they need to change in order for it to work for you. I unfortunately do not know the details of the solution, so my advice is is to call up verizon and request to speak to their MAC tech support team.

please let us know if they are able to fix it on their end!
thanks for the info, i've heard that there is a direct line to the mac support people, do you know what that is?
unfortunately, the only number I am able to find is their general support line (which would eventually get you to the right people), which is 1-800-567-6789

sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!