Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Please help! Im one of those rare birds that has switched…

Customer Question
Please help! I'm one of...
Please help! I'm one of those rare birds that has switched back to PC after a decade of Mac loyalty. My Mac died, I have a new PC, and have no idea how to get my thousands of songs and pictures and documents on the new guy. Thoughts? I can't turn the other one on at all -the charging mechanism's blown. Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/27/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi ,

What Mac model do you have ? and what OS was it running , OSX?

If the HD is salvageable from the Mac , you can fit it to a External HD en-closer and retrieve the files on the PC using a Program on the PC that allows Mac HD access .

You can copy the files from the now external USB HDD to back up to a new location ,
or even move and migrate the whole account as was including all settings and applications on the old Mac HDD to a new working Mac if purchased in future . .

This does require the Broken Mac HDD to be still working .

Also do you have any other backups ? Maybe to an external HDD or DVD or CD disk??

I can give full details once i have more info.

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/28/2010 at 12:00 AM EST
The Mac is a Powerbook G4 and it was running OSX. The HD is fine- I was trying to avoid purchasing a hd encloser- and also I have my pictures and documents and music stored on an external HD that was formatted for the Mac, and probably can't use that either?
Hi , if you have your data on a external HD , that's great .

You can copy the data from there if you think it is current .

But you will need a piece of software to do this on the PC .

MacDrive for Windows takes all the guess work out disk accessibility. With MacDrive installed, your Windows computer now speaks Mac and you can access all types of Mac-formatted disks - including external hard drives, CDs, DVDs, iPod and more.
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

With this software you can just connect your external Mac USB HDD to your PC , the disk will be seen by the PC as a normal data drive once mounted .

There is a free trial , so you can test before you buy .

alternatively you can try reading up on :-

HFSExplorer , a free way to read Mac OS formatted disks.

http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

This other method may take a little more brain power to get up and running..

I hope this helps.

Thanks.
Hello again- I'm sorry. The external HD I have is not only mac-formatted but has a fire wire cord/plug only, and the new computer does not- so I still can't connect the two. Also, only my music and pictures are on it, not all of my documents, etc.
Hi , If your PC is a tower . you can use a Firewire PCI adapter .

Just fit the new card and then you can use your HDD as described .

Or take apart the enclosure and again fit the drive in to a USB enclosure .
You may need some help with this , also to do this the Firewire enclosure needs to be one that is able to be taken apart and the correct 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch IDE or SATA types .

PCI card .
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fire-Wire-3-Port-PCI-Card-6-Pin-IEEE1394-Belkin-/260624774690?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item3cae727622

I will check to see what you need exactly , but im still standing with USB enclosure to fix your issues.. You can use it to move your data from both hard drives if they are the same type .

Please what is the model number and make of your external HD and PC computer ??
Also what is the model of your Mac , CPU type , year made , screen size , all info you have .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/28/2010 at 5:13 PM EST