Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When I send an iphoto to a windows system the size is too small.

Customer Question
It looks as if it's...
When I send an iphoto to a windows system the size is too small. It looks as if it's a thumbprint size. How can I enlarge the photo before sending it? I have tried changing the size to actual, large; sending from originals via Finder, sending direct using email at bottom of screen; using plain text to make it an attachment - all to no avail.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/27/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Before you send it did you look at the file size? That is a good indication of how big it will be at the other end.

A rule of thumb is 72 dpi, that displays the best on 99% of computer monitors.

This website explains it pretty well as to what the correlation is.

As for why your recipients are having problems is because they don't have the necessary software to open them.

Photos in iPhoto average 4mb which when sent with email is large, so it is compressed to make the file size small enough that email can handle it.

It will still open to the correct size when the recipient opens it up. The problem is not with you and how you're sending it, the problem is with the Windows side when they are trying to open it.

Customer:

Yes I did look at the size and it was 3264 × 2448 pixels. The PC has windows gallery which is very similar to iphoto so surely it should automatically enlarge it. If I try doing that on the PC it breaks down and is no good. Windows gallery opens automatically just like iphoto but it's a tiny picture in the middle of the screen.

Daniel :

That is a good sized photo. How many people are having this issue? One thing is what email service are they using? Not the one you use to send it but the one they use to get it?

Customer:

Well we have one of each PC and Mac and friends have PCs. We use talktalk and a friend is using BT internet. I have just sent myself a photo from the PC to the Mac and it is embedded in the email and takes up the whole screen and is 132 kg. Yet I can't do the same from a Mac to a PC

Daniel :

What version of Windows is on the PC/s? And what version of Mac OS X.?

Daniel :

That is what I mean by there is something missing on the Windows machines, you should be able to send them back the same picture and have it do the very same thing. Give that a try and let me know.

Customer:

The Mac is OS X snow leopard (purchased earlier this year).

Customer:

Windows is Vista purchased last year

Daniel :

Then they should be able to do what you're doing without issue. Did you send the same image back to the Windows that you could view on your Mac? And if so what were the results?

Customer:

I sent a full size picture from the PC to Mac and it was fine. Sent the same picture back after saving it on iphoto and it's shrunk

Daniel :

Can you please tell me step by step how you are attaching or sending the photograph? In his much detail as you can.

Customer:

I save the photo in iphoto.

Daniel :

Please do not leave any detail out Because that might be the important clue.

Customer:

Opened iphoto, used the email icon on the bottom right hand side of the screen. Send it as large (although it doesn't seem to make any difference if I send it as original size it stays the same).

Customer:

Also sent it from Finder under originals - didn't make any difference

Daniel :

So this is what happens when you click on a postage stamp in iPhoto?

Full Size Image

And then you get something that looks like this,

Full Size Image

Daniel :

Then when you go ahead and send it the person on the other end gets an itty bitty teeny-weeny picture?

Customer:

Yes that's right

Daniel :

Then the problem exists somewhere between when it leaves your Mac and reaches their Windows. Or the problem exists on their Windows.

Customer:

On the pc for the same picture it is 3264x2448 pixels (194mg) but by the time it's saved on iphoto it's shrunk to 1280x960 (132 kb) and that's what it stays as.

Customer:

Yes I think you're right. I have spent hours searching for the answer on various forums and there's nothing. No-one else seems to have had such a problem. Do you think there is an answer or should the Mac go back for checking?

Daniel :

In the example That I sent you that photo is 158 KB. But in actuality is 4.5 MB which is very different in size.

Customer:

But how do you convert it to that on a pc?

Daniel :

What you're telling me really makes no sense at all, somewhere between it being sent and received the image seems to be changed. Whether it is your e-mail service, you have not yet told me what that is or whether you use the Mac mail application or not, that may be doing it.

Because as far as I can tell you and your Mac are doing it correctly. The only other possibility that I see other than it being your eye a speedy is on the Windows end.

it also sounds like your Mac and a Windows machine are sitting side-by-side and are using the same ISP, so that pretty much would eliminate that.

Customer:

I use mail and the PC has outlook. Yes the two machines are side by side

Daniel :

I send and receive photo attachments all the time both from other Macs and Windows users, and so far I have not seen the issue that you are having.

You have me stumped.

I am going to opt out and open this question to other experts, perhaps they may have an answer that I do not.

You could take your Mac to the Apple store and see what they think, but that does not solve the Windows side of because there is no Apple store for Windows.

Daniel :

Interesting, I'm going to give you to an expert that uses both platforms.

Customer:

Thank you for this. I shall accept your answer (green button below) but look forward to seeing if any of your colleagues has the solution.

Customer:

Many thanks indeed.

Customer:

Actually it's told me not to click away yet.

Daniel :

The expert I sent you to will use the same chat as we were.

Customer:

Thank you.

Daniel :

You are welcome. He should be with you shortly.