Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My apple computer started crashing about a week ago, after…

Customer Question
My apple computer started crashing...
My apple computer started crashing about a week ago, after 5 perfect years...what is going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/27/2010
Mac Support Specialist: iteachmac, The Duke! replied 8 years ago
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Hi ,

Can you boot from the OSX install DVD? , insert OSX installer , Hold C while powering on the mac or restarting . use a USB keyboard.

Please if it boots check the Mac does not crash while idle , just leave it sitting for 10 to 20 mins .

Please check for dust inside the Mac if G4 powermac or G5 powermac .
Large clumps of fluff & dust , can overheat the G5 powermac if blocking the cooler fins .

If you computer does not crash while booted to the OSX installer , please go on to the next posted note to perform repairs to the Mac HD .

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 6/27/2010 at 6:56 PM EST
It maybe some problems have been going on for a while with your system!

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Extra tools:

-

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

or drive 10 for OSX depending on OSX version .

-

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

If there's still no difference with your issue? We can move on to testing the issue with a new user account to troubleshoot , or a full "archive and install" of the Mac OSX OS if needed , followed by a complete Combo update of the OSX OS .

What is your OSX version .

What is your Mac model & CPU type ?
Use about this Mac & more info if needed to find out the details.

Do you have any third party ram installed ?

Do you have any other extra hardware installed ?
Hi iteachmac,

I have a friend who did most of that a couple of days ago, I don't think I can do it myself because I don't really understand all the steps...can I accept the answer after he comes this evening to check and do the things you suggested?

Irene
Hi ok ,

You can try this more simple step for now .

turn off the Mac .

Power on the Mac .

Hold shift on the keyboard using a USB keyboard , while powering on the Mac and booting , boot to safe mode.

Once booted to safe mode , restart and boot as normal .

Full details here :-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

This may fix minor issues .

I hope this helps .
iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Do you think this could be a hardware problem?

The reason I am asking this is because it takes about 40 minutes after it crashes to start up again...maybe something needs to cool down?
If you cant boot to the OSX install DVD , without it crashing ,then there is a hardware fault .

If zapping Pram , or resetting the SMU does not work that enforces the diagnosis .

What Mac do you have ?

I need to know all the details so to give you the best info .

Please read though all my posts , and see the Qs i ask with ? , i do need those pieces of info from you.

Thanks.
I did the part of holding the shift key while starting and it did a safe boot...I hope this is it!

Thank you for your patience...
Hi , no problem ,

Once your booted , it is best to run though the other tests to check for issues .

Once your booted you can also perform this repair easy.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

-

Permissions Defined

Once that test is done click on check for problems on Mac HD ,
Use the the button "Verify disk" , for Mac HD just to the other side of the Disk utilities window repair permissions button you will see the Verify disk button .

If there are errors shown in RED , then you will need to run though the same repair , but while booted to the Mac OSX installer DVD as outlined before..

I hope it works out well .

Thanks.