Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Urgent-Parallels on my Mac suddenly cant find Win xp pro OS…

Customer Question
Hi- Parallels on my Mac...
Hi- Parallels on my Mac suddenly can't find the virtual OS that was installed and working just fine for several weeks. Plus, when I go to choose the VM there are two choices, but it will only talk to one of them, the other one (which is probably the right one) seems to be invisible.   How can I get it to be visible and for the OS to start working again? I have Win XP Pro installed and it worked just fine for a while. Parallels is now telling me that i need to install an OS, it doesn't have one. I do still have the original PC hard drive, but can't figure out how to plug it into my Mac myself. Please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 day by:
6/28/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
hello there! i would love to help with your parallels issue. so we will have to create a new install but your info will not be lost. just follow this how to and you should be good. 1.Create a new VM. Configure it any way you want, and get it to the point where you are ready to install the guest OS (presumably Windows).
Before installing the guest OS, edit the VM by clicking on the edit button, then click "Add..." beneath the property table.
Click "Next", then select "Hard Disk", then "Use an existing hard disk image".
Browse to your previous virtual hard disk (the one with the data you want to recover) and choose "Finish".
Install the guest OS. Be careful not to install it on the virtual hard disk that you are trying to recover.
When you boot into your new installation of Windows, open Explorer, and notice that your old virtual hard disk is mounted and that all your old data is accessible. let me know if this works by accepting my answer thanks!
Sorry-
Are these instructions for Parallels 4? I am running 5 and those instructions don't work. There is no edit button. I can only access the hard disk area through Virtual Machine/Configure

But when I do, it still doesn't see my windows files. All the windows file folders are empty. How could this be? Could the install of OSX have possibly disappeared?

Also, when I look at the CD/DVD drive it shows two - the one on the machine and the one that is NO LONGER ATTACHED - because it is the hard drive from the PC. That PC is not working and I cannot boot the OS on it either (I have another question ticket out for that machine.)

Do you have any other options for me for Parallels 5?
Thank You
The CD/DVD can also be found through devices, but i cant find the image u r talking about.

The other tech thought my prob came from AVG anti virus, could this be the prob?
By 'other tech' I mean the guy helping me with the crashed PC drive where WinXP originally lived.

He says that AVG antivirus could have had a virus get through to the hard drive. Can u help me with this on the Mac? What if it has a virus? It is supposed to have anti virus software on it.

BTW - the mac is a mac book pro.