Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Im having trouble re-installing iTunes onto my Windows Vista…

Customer Question
I'm having trouble re-installing iTunes...
I'm having trouble re-installing iTunes onto my Windows Vista laptop. Each time, I begin by uninstalling iTunes, Quicktime, Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Support, Bonjour, and Apple Application Support. When I then try to download a version of iTunes (and I have tried 3 different versions, most recently version 9.2 from the Apple site), everything seems to go smoothly up to a point, until I get a message "The cabinet file itunes.cab required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used." At that point I have to just cancel the attempted installation. I have been through this whole process 3 times, thinking that there was a problem with either the version or the source I was downloading from, but keep getting the same result.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/27/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Do you then delete the install file you have downloaded and re-download it again?
Yes, all 6 of the files that I named, in the order named. This is required, I have learned, in order to remove all traces of the itunes program.
What I mean is did you delete the failed installer file before downloading it again?
Yes, every time.
At this point I'm not sure and I'm going to open this question up to other experts.
Mac Support Specialist: Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello I am one of the experts that can help.

With the newest release of itunes there have been a couple of issues with windows 7. Please follow the steps below as a lot of people have had issues with the latest itunes update. These steps will not delete any of your music or settings but clear out all apple installs and leave it fresh for a clean install.

First please click here and download the windows installer cleaner utility here on this page this can remove programs as long as the windows installer has access to them. If the download doesnt start right away click at the top of the page where it says click here to start download

Once you install this

Click Start > Click All Programs > Click on the program Windows Installer Cleaner Utility

You should the be given a list of programs this can remove please check all Apple programs that appear ie Quick Time, Mobile Device, Itunes

Once this has successfully removed

do a reboot/restart your computer.

When the computer comes back up click start/windows icon on taskbar

Click Run

then in the command prompt type in : SFC /SCANNOW

there is a space after the SFC hit enter let it run through the verification process this can take some time

Now if the scan doesnt run you may have to do the following. Click start > All Programs > Accessories Right click on command prompt and say run as administrator

In the Dos prompt type in the above command

This Scan should check for errors in the windows file system.

After this scan is done and it fixes errors do another restart.

When the computer comes back up go download a fresh install from apples website and run the install

If you vista is 32 bit download the install http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

However if your vista is 64 bit user the download link here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

Please let me know if you have any questions

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 6/28/2010 at 12:54 PM EST
Thanks for responding, Omer. I downloaded Major Geeks with high hopes , but was unable to try your suggestions because I could not find the link "All Programs". (I also noticed, among the comments, that there had been some problems experienced by people using that link.)

Hello

This link should take you to a page that should automatically download the file.

Once installed if you click on your start/windows icon in your taskbar then click on all programs to see all installed programs you should see it show up as Windows Installer Cleaner

Aargh! I tried downloading Windows Installer Cleanup Utility TWICE through Major Geeks, and it still does not appear in my list of installed programs. I didn't get it, apparently. What now? Why won't it download?

Ok depending on your permissions on the computer.

Do this save it to the desktop right click on it and say run as administrator.

Then it should install

How do I work around "permission denied"? This is getting to be complicated.

You can either turn off the UAC permissions which I can walk you through or you need to user the administrator account.

If the admin rights are getting in the way of the scannow

Click on start

go to all programs

click accessories

right click on command prompt and select run as administrator as well