Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just signed up for a Mobile Me mail account. How do I get…

I just signed up for...
I just signed up for a Mobile Me mail account. How do I get it to be my default mail system. I've added to my list of mail accounts, but when it opens in Safari, it doesn't have the action icons across the top, which defeats the purpose of using it.

Also, how do I set default preferences for typeface and size of type for the emails I compose?

Thanking you in advance,
Cort
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Ben Snyder
Ben Snyder, Mac Enthusiast
Hi Cort,

I do hope to help you with your Mobile Me Mail account question. I do have a few questions for clarification before I attempt an answer.

First, when you say "default mail system," what do you mean exactly? Typically there are 2 main ways that people access their email... either through a program on your computer (such as Mail, Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, etc) that is sometimes referred to as a POP3 client. This program DOWNLOADS your email to your computer and you can access it when you are offline.

The other way people access their email is via the internet and it is referred to as webmail. This is when you use an internet browser (such as Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) to go to a website with whom you have an email account (such as Hotmail, gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc). You must be online in order to get your email.

Given the above, I'm not sure what you mean by using Mobile Me as your "default mail system." If you use Mail to access your email, then you can use your Mobile Me account as a "default" address. If you use Safari, and access your Mobile Me account online, then you simply need to bookmark your login page to mobile me.

Second, your comments about the "action icons" are in reference to delete, forward, compose, etc. Correct? It sounds as if the Mobile Me Mail page is not loading properly... I have all of those icons when I go to my Mobile Me account. Please confirm so I know how to proceed.

I will wait to answer your third question about the default typeface and font size until I know how you want to use your new mobile me account; whether by using Mail, or by using Safari and accessing it through the web.

Thank you for clarifying the above questions.

It is a pleasure helping you,

Ben Snyder
Hey Ben, thanks for responding. Maybe what I want isn't possible. What I was hoping for was that when I clicked on the Mail icon from my dashboard, my MobileMe Mail account would open (which I have now gotten it to do), with the Mobile Me icon bar across the top (trash, archive, folder, etc.). And I have a feeling that the default typeface for MobileMe Mail is 13 point Helvetica; if you want anything different, you have to change each new email to what you'd prefer -- which seems very "un-Apple" to me.
I think I understand now... do you mean the "dock" or the "dashboard?"

If you mean the dashboard, please explain what widget you are using and where you obtained it.

If you mean the dock, then that launches the Mail program which will download your mail to your computer. From there, we can modify your default type face settings. But again, I want to make sure I understand how you want to access your mail. Do you want to use the Mail program or Safari to access your mail?

I would recommend setting up Mail in IMAP mode (if you have a decent internet connection).

Once I know how you want to access your mail, I'll help you set your default typeset settings.

It is a pleasure helping you,

Ben Snyder
Sorry for the confusion: I meant Dock. I'd prefer to my Mail program to access my MobileMe Mail account.

Thanks.
Ok, super. When you open Mail, does it begin with the setup prompts or does it take you directly into your inbox? (In other words, is your Mobile Me account already setup and working)?

If it is setup properly, then click on the Mail icon in the dock to give it "focus." Then click on "Mail" at the top left of your screen next to the Apple logo and select "Preferences".

Click on the "Accounts" tab (the second from the left) and it should list all of your email accounts that you have setup to work in Mail. I'll assume that you only have the Mobile Me account there. If you select the Mobile Me account in the left column, the "Account Type" (found in the right side of that window) should read MobileMe IMAP.

Then, click on the "Fonts & Colors" tab at the top of the Mail Preferences window (it is in the middle), and you can set your default font settings here. In the other tabs along the top, you can find other settings to change to your liking.

I hope I have adequately answered your questions. If you need more input, I'd be happy to continue helping you. I am going to call it a day for now.

It is a pleasure helping you,

Ben Snyder
Ben Snyder
Ben Snyder, Mac Enthusiast
Yeah, I've got to get those country style pork ribs on the barbecue or I'm not having dinner tonight. Thanks for your help. If I need more, how do I get back in touch with you?

Cort
Hi Cort,

I do appreciate the bonus... thank you! If you wish to request my help again, you can simply request me as the "expert" with whom you wish to work.

I think you just search for "Ben Snyder"... I've never done it, but I know you can request a particular expert. My Just Answer ID is basnyder527 if you can't find me by my name.

All the best,

Ben