Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Have not been able to successfully make a DVD since upgrading…

Customer Question
Have not been able to...
Have not been able to successfully make a DVD since upgrading to Leopard--Multiplexor error during formatting
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/26/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Can you give me a little more information please such as what kind of Mac you are using?

What version of Mac OS X?

What software you are using to make a DVD?

Customer:

Dan sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Saturday busier than expected.

Daniel :

No problem, I get kind of busy myself.

Customer:

I have imovie version 7.1.4 (585) and updated OSX from10.5.2 to 10.5.8 recently

Customer:

Dan I have to run out to Post something. Can we chat in an hour?

Daniel :

Sure

Customer:

hey Dan Im back

Daniel :

Okay, can you explain to me a little more about the problem you're having?

Customer:

Had system upgraded from Tiger to Leopard and was not happy with new imovie interface. Events etc.

Customer:

When I try to burn a disk I get a formatting error

Daniel :

Can't blame you there, I don't particularly like this new version of iMovie myself.

Daniel :

If you still have your installation disks from Tiger that came with the system then you can reclaim the original iMovie. Also when the

Daniel :

movie was installed It moves the old iMovie into a folder called previous version of iMovie.

Daniel :

Can you recall the exact wording of the error message?

Customer:

Multiplexer Error

Customer:

There was an error during formatting

Customer:

2 messages

Customer:

It appears after disk is "prepared"

Daniel :

Are you using iDVD to burn or something else?

Customer:

iDVD

Daniel :

Are you using the same brand of media that you used in the past with no trouble?

Customer:

Maybe not I ran out of old ones and purchased Phillips 4.7 G

Daniel :

Can you tell me what machine you're doing this on? And what is the processor speed and RAM?

Customer:

Ill try

Customer:

G5 with IBM chips

Customer:

Where do I find other info?

Daniel :

The brand that you use can make a very big difference. I have run across this myself and even the best out there have a failure rate of about 5%.

To find the information that I just asked for look here,

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

Customer:

2ghz powerpc g5

Customer:

512 MB DDR SDRAM

Customer:

doh

Daniel :

I buy mine in bulk from this place and this is the brand I usually get. They have one of the best successful burning rates around. They are also pretty cheap.

Daniel :

Other than the RAM you have plenty of machine. I would definitely invest in at least another gigabyte and a half you would be surprised at what a difference that will make.

Customer:

So I have been told and its not that expensive will do sooner than later

Customer:

So you think my disks may be the problem

Daniel :

Another suggestion that I have, is to make a dmg or disk image from the file menu in iDVD.

This saves a lot on making coasters (that's failed disks) and it also means that it's much easier to make a second copy should you want to with disk utility.

Customer:

I am such a spoiled rookie from the Tiger

Customer:

Should I try those things and get back to you

Customer:

?

Daniel :

The media could very well be the problem but I cannot say for sure. The fact that you have been able to do so successfully in the past points to that conclusion.

The media you want is definitely DVD (minus) - R, stay away from the plus +, the newer machines and optical drives don't have as much issue with this anymore but there was a time when Max would not use the plus media.

Customer:

Hmm the disks are +R

Customer:

How do I contact you to accept if these suggestions work?

Daniel :

I don't see why not. You can get different media lots of places including the website that I sent you to.

This place is where I usually buy RAM and other Macintosh pieces and parts.

Daniel :

Bookmark this page like you would any other favorite website. It makes it very easy to get back to.

Daniel :

I do believe I will turn this into a standard question-and-answer as opposed to a chat, and you will get an e-mail notification of that.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
And this is what you will see in your e-mail. Keep me posted.
I picked up some DVD-R yesterday and tried them. The computer kicked them back out almost immediately. A different result than the DVD+R but not any better.
That is not good, Is this a G5 iMac or G5 tower?
I have a G5 mac
Does it look like this?
graphic
Or this.
graphic
The top one
That is an iMac. the next thing I want to do is reset the SMU (System management unit).
This may or may not correct the problem. But it is definitely worth doing.
  1. Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
  2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
  5. Let go of the power button.
  6. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

The next thing after you do that is to reset the pram, this resets all of the system buses including those connected to the optical drive.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.
Let me know.

A little more info--- I installed DVD-R and the screen said readying device. In about a minute it kicked it out---I tried 4 disks--- then I put a DVD+R in again and the machine went through the whole burning procedure up until it kicked it out with previous message about Formatting error.
I think what you're going to have to do is reinstall Leopard. Something did not do the job like it was supposed to.
This is called an Archive and Install preserving user data and network settings, much like what you did when you upgraded. Sometimes an upgrade will do this. This PDF will explain what and what not to do, please read it very carefully and if possible print it out for an easy reference.
This link is good for one day and then will expire. Copy paste it into your address bar and the name will be complete install in your downloads folder.
http://senduit.com/33d42c
Sorry about the wait. Ive been enjoying the weather. I have my PC fired up so I can rread the instructions you sent Here goes.
If you run onto any problems doing this please let me know.
I do think that one should enjoy the weather when one can for tomorrow it will rain.
If its going to rain I better mow the lawn ha ha. I did the pram and smu resets. No problems--no change. I guess that leaves the Leopard reinstall. Now where did I put those disks??? Will get backto you
Standing by.